6" vs. 8" lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:11 PM
logan_ut

6\" vs. 8\" lift

Well my current springs ride like sh!t so I'm trying to decide what springs to put on. I had the 6" Tuff Country's on my '81 and liked them alot but I was thinking about getting some 8" Skyjackers or having a set built. Would and 8" require both front and rear drivelines to be replaced? If so, I'll just go with some 6" and do some trimming if required. I'll probably be running some 36x14.50 TSL Radials. Also, any recomendations on springs? Is custom the way to go or do Tuff Country and Skyjacker make good sets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 6\" vs. 8\" lift

I am sure with 8" drive lines will have to be mande. 4" is generally so/so, 6" is pushing it. I like my Tuff Country 4" lift. Never had exprience with but I hear BDS lift is pretty spiffy too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:17 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>6" is the tallest anyone makes in a soft spring, so if you don't want to wear a mouthgaurd while driving around then go with those. I'd go with the TC EZ-rides. With my 6" lift both driveshafts were way short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

Just don't do like me and get the only harsh riding 6" lift out there. Of course being a "made for a 1 ton lift" I probably have a better ride that stock.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:18 AM
Mud in my Veins

BDS and Tuff Country are the ones I hear the most about. High quality, lotsa flex, and a nice ride without sacrificing capacity.

I'd go with a 6" and some trimming to clear 36x14.5's. 36x12.5's will clear with only the smallest of rubbing with a 6", seems kinda a waste to go to all the hassle and expense an 8" will need when you can just trim a some and call it good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:09 AM
ratlover

If he dont care about ride quality and he deems that he will need to put drive shafts in any way then any thing else wrong with 8"? I am kinda hijacking his post as I am still trying to decide what route I am going. What about the zero rate ad a leafs for 7"with a 6" lift a whole lota fender triming a 2" solid bidy lift and 14 bolt and 44 in the front on a 83 long bed? (thats what I am planning so you can be my guinepig[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) But that would be a whole lota work for just 36's.....you would have obsene amounts of clearance
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:58 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>9" of lift for 36s? That's way too much in my opinion. I run 38s on just 6" springs with a decent amount of trimming and hardly ever rub. I'm going to trim everything else that can be trimmed and run 42s with just 1 more inch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

9" would be way over kill. My plan is to run 39.5s on 4" sus lift + 1" zero rate and probably 2" body so a total of 7" +/-. I like the quote, "I've got a sawzall saying they will fit"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 01:33 PM
ratlover

Like I said.....obsene amounts of clearance....but I need a guinepig damit!!!

<font color=red>I've got a sawsall that says they will fit</font color=red> Thats my new favorite phrase[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got a 79 suburban with a 4" lift and with minor trimming i put 44s under it iam going to put in a 2 body lift because they rub when i turn real sharp but uther than that i havnt had a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode