what style exaust? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:30 AM
87sm465np208

what style exaust?

i have a shortbed pickup, and no muffler, but i have a big ol' catilitic converter that acts like a muffler, and was curious on everyones opinoin, should i run a straight pipe, useing flex pipe, run a pipe right out the side with flex pipe and maybe a exaust tip to make it look nice, what should i do guys, your help is greatly appreciated. btw i have stainless flex pipe availble to me, and that is what i will be useing to run an exaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:34 AM

Re: what style exaust?

id either go flex pipe, to the back then to the side, or just put like a 6 inch pipe, and a 90 degree tip on it and have it dump under the truck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

Keep the cat on there, even if you hollow it out. It's a $2500 federal fine and a quick trip to the impound lot if a cop who knows the vehicle codes and is having a bad day sees it missing and decides to take out some anger on you.

Tips are pretty much useless. Under the bumper you're waiting for them to get crunched by a hill, rock, stump, whatever. Behind the tires you're throwing crap on them all the time.

Go for a bend that dumps right behind the rear tire angled slightly down and to the side. So the vortex generated by the tire sucks the fumes out and it's outta the way of objects offroad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:47 AM

the tipe on the back right of my truck holds up good to rocks, it supposed to be for a tractor or semi muffler i think
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:49 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Ok

1. Dont remve the cat, they put it there for a reason
2. Don't use flex hose, instant redneck
3. Straightpipes are annoying, illegal, and poseriffic
4. It's real easy to make your own exhaust on these trucks with bends and clamps

Anyway, after all that, I'd run a pipe tight to the frame as high up as possible and exiting at the rear corner in a descreet way.

Or you can spend a lot of cash and replace everything with hi flow cat and muffler, thats an option.

Or you can leave it alone.

I redid mine with $50 in Checker Auto parts
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:49 AM

Hey AJM - the pipe your describing sounds like the ones they put on the Vortec trucks that come out the sides and then turn down and point to the ground...am I right? I always wondered why GM did that...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't use flex pipe on anything I wanted to flow well. Too much turbulance is created because it is not smooth, this is why mandrel bends are so popular in performance applications. No crinkles and maintians size through bends. You can buy sections of bent pipe from the speed shops and clamp it yourself if you don't weld. Don't go too large on pipe either, need this just right for torque and flow to be maximized. All depends on your motor size and what ya have in it. For off roading, a single exhaust exiting behind the rear wheel as high as possible leaves less to smash and will run as good as a dual. Once again, just have to have the right size pipes. If you are considering running a gutted cat...don't do it, and not just for the bleeding heart liberal tree huggers either, it will cause enormous expansion of the gasses and slow your exhaust down through turbulance. If running with cat present and gutted, simply run a pipe clean through the middle of it and no one will know unless they sniff test you. Depends on where you live. Out here in the booneys where I am they don't even look under the truck, only in the cities do they even look. I left my cat on, but it is a high flow unit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

90K5, I'm describing the setup I had on my Blazer. Gibson gave me this long @ss pipe that my buddy put on at like a 45 degree angle to the ground. It was angled out and downward pretty noticeably in each direction. I got sick of it so I borrowed a hacksaw from work and cut it off about 3" after the bend. That way there was no exhaust pipe to hang up on rocks, it wasn't getting much mud and crap thrown on it, it was still angled so the exhaust got sucked out behind the vehicle, and it was kinda cool because my tailpipe wasn't obvious like all the poserific setup everyone else was running then. That was when I lived in SoCal.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 05:12 PM
87sm465np208

wow thanks guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] im probly gunna have it dump right by the left rear tire, if possible, yea im gunna leave the cat on, lol, i know they put em there for a reason, also my dad would get mad if i did, because then i would be even louder and the neighbors would get mad, and so would the emissions people. but i might run flex pipe as an elbow and then a straight pipe cut right so it looks good, and have it dump infront of the drivers side rear tire.thanks again everyone, i will take it all into consideration, and when i get it done, i will post how it turned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode