What kind of MPG do you get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of MPG do you get?

Hello All,
I am selling my Jeep and getting a truck for going back and forth to school. I have to drive about an hour each way to school about 50 some odd miles. And, I have found an 85 Half ton short bed 4x4 auto with a 305. I was wondering, what kind of gas milage will I get with this truck? I really like it, but I think I will have to get an S-10 to drive back and forth. And, are there any problems with this year? Oh, and there has been no mods to the truck, just like it came from the factory.
Thanks,(Alot!)
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:54 AM

Re: What kind of MPG do you get?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Probably 15 max on the highway if it's well tuned and the tranny is in good shape, with A/T tires. Poorly tuned or M/T tires and it could drop as low as 10 or even worse.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have to sell the jeep? If your looking for gas mileage get a Honda Civic or Toyota Tercel. I recently picked up a 1994 Tercel for $3000(in great shape) and I'm getting 32-34 mpg. I had to buy the Toyo because I was paying about $250 a month in gas for my truck. The car is paying for itself just in the money I'm saving in gas. Now my truck is getting a well deserved rest and preserving the warranty for a little longer! Don't worry, the car is only used for commuting to work, after I'm home my truck gets all the attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do ya want to spend any money on the 4x4 to make it get better mileage? I added dual 16" electric fans and synthetic oil to my 454 and went from 9-10 mpg at best to around 11.5mpg. Other things you can do that help performance and mileage, but have to keep your foot out of the thing too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all of the info. Yes I have to sell the Jeep, its getting around 9 or 10 mpg! And, I do keep my foot out of it. But lets say the truck was a manual, would that make a differnce?
Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:16 PM

not real sure, you could really baby a manual, but keep in mind if you shifting to soon and its boggin down the motor, you wont get better mileage, my s-10 doesnt get as good as it should cuz its under powered, my dads 4.3 vortec, gets better then my 2.8 tbi, and thats with me driving both, and the back of his is full of tools too
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

A manual can easily get better gas mileage in city driving. You can control RPMs better and you can short-shift.

10mpg isn't all that bad for a carbureted motor.

I get around 11 in the city and 15 on the highway if I can keep it in overdrive.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:16 PM

keep the gearing high and you'll be ok. I've got 4.11's and 33's and I get 12 mpg weather i'm driving in the city or doing 75 on the highway.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are lucky a S-10 will get you 18-22 MPG (except the 98+ 2.2L 5spd, I was able to get 25MPG). 100 miles a day @ 20 MPG and $1.50 a gallon, you are talking $7.50 a day. K10 might get 15 MPG (more like 12-13) which would = $10.00 a day. If I had to drive 100 miles a day I would buy a Honda CRX HF. Install a cold air intake, Ignition box and Header with a two inch exhaust and only pay $3.75 @ $1.50 a gallon because it gets 40 MPG. I love my truck but lets be realistic $85.00 dollars a month on gas for a HF CRX compared to 165.00 for a gutless 4 cylinder S-10 is a big difference. I would only want to buy the HF for distance driving like that it has a 1.5L with multi port fuel injection and a knock sensor, vice TBI like the DX or Performance tuned 1.6L SI motor.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

gallup,
im worried about my gasmileage too. so u added dual 16" electric fans and a senthetic oil.......where can i get these fans and what other things can i do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode