Need Help with Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Help with Tires

Just divorced, got settlement.
Purchased me a 2002 2wd "Red" Chevy/Silverado...don't like
the Goodyear Wrangler ST's 235/75-16's it has.
Want some awesome looking tires. I want to
dress up my "new" truck so I can Piss off my "ex".
Went to Discount Tires
and the salesman right away told to buy the number one tire in America..."the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO in 265/75-16". He said it would make my truck nice and nasty. He suggested some American Racing Wheels called "Bajas"..cause they were on special. Price quoted was $1170.00 entire package. Now...I'd like to ask all you men out there with your trucking experience, "Am I being taken for a ride on this?" Could use all of your help on this. Maybe some of you fine men could suggest some ideas for tires and wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Need Help with Tires

Might as well be taken for a ride since apparently you took your ex-husband for one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should consider some Weld racing Typhoons 16x8 Then put some 315/70/16 Goodyear MTR's. Trust me, it will fit great and you'll get zero rubbing. You'll be able to mud bog it then finish the day off with a little rock crawlin. Don't worry, that 2wd will go far with some mean lookin tires. I hope you got the mean V6 in your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got the 4.8L V8 Engine.
I will only be using the truck to and from work and take the kids to & from school. On occasions will go to visit my parents, they live out in the country. There's where I will travel country and rural roads but other than that it will be street/freeway driving. Do I really need the tires you just mentioned?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 07:06 PM

Those tires and wheels should fit fine depending on the size and backspacing, and the price seems OK. If you are going to change your wheels too I would replace them with 15" wheels and tires as they are quite a bit cheaper. In the future however, you may want to post in the appropriate board and try doing a search first.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I apologize for taking your time and for not using the correct board. But...could you be so kind and direct me to the proper board I should be utilizing. Oh, and thank you for your advise on the tires/wheels. So you think the package is a good deal?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 10:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You said he suggested the wheels because they were on special..... there isn't anything special about wheels you don't need if you don't want 'em. The wheels on your truck will work fine. Now, if you want the baja's that's a different story. You should expect to pay around 150 per tire, plus tax. bajas' are not worth the difference in my humble opinion. They are the cheaper quality of the MT knock offs. If you do choose to get a new set of rims, make sure you hang on to your old ones if they are aluminum factory wheels. You can get a pretty penny for them on ebay or any other venue you choose to sell them through. The package sounds a little high to me but I have not priced tire wheel packages for a while. Besides, I get all my wheels and tires at cost through my cousins off road shop. Again though, don't let him talk you into wheels you dont need/want if you don't want em. Like I said before, the 265-75-16's will work fine on your factory wheels, and they have the proper back spacing as well.

I'll attach a pic that may help give you an idea of what it will look like with factory wheels.

I know your wheels are different but maybe you can get an idea anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870359-wheels.jpg (60.2 KB, 8 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:00 AM

The Chevy SFA board is for trucks with Solid Front Axles, which were made until 1987, or 1991 depending on the model. The IFS board is for trucks with Independent Front Suspention, which includes all of the newer trucks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:50 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You should consider some Weld racing Typhoons 16x8 Then put some 315/70/16 Goodyear MTR's. Trust me, it will fit great and you'll get zero rubbing. You'll be able to mud bog it then finish the day off with a little rock crawlin. Don't worry, that 2wd will go far with some mean lookin tires. I hope you got the mean V6 in your truck.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, you'll get zero rubbing as soon as the tires bash the fenders in far enough that they can't hit anymore. Biggest tire that fits on the 4x4 without rubbing is 285/75r16s, and even those only fit on the stock wheels, on 16x8s you need to do a minor trim job. I think the 2wd trucks are even lower than the 4x4s, so the 315s would really rub on one of those... The 265s are your best bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get some minor rubbage on the lower back corner of the front fender when you hit a big bump witht he wheels turned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode