Pride of Ownership... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pride of Ownership...

...countinued from my other thread...

Soon I will post pics of my 83 GMC. It's been in the family exactly as long as I have, my dad ordered it new January of '83, right after I was born. It has faithfully served my father for 17 yrs, until I got it from him when I was 17. It has been up and down so many fields it is unbeleivable (400,000 mi.) It has been one venerable farm truck. The original 350 was turned asside at about 250,000 miles. During that period my dad was working for a large local farmming outfit, they kept him in engines until he found the current 400 small-block. That truck went through about 4-5 engines, cheapies the company bought that said "Hecho en Mexico" on the crates. They were something between a 305-350 I think. Absolute POS motors. Asside from the engine I recently put Warn Premium Hubs on it after the Automatic ones dried up (it was parked for 2 yrs). Get this, I still have the original spare tire and wheel in the back to this day, never used, its a 215/85/R16, one skinny tire. It's things like that that make me proud to own a GM. My dad taught me the right way to take care of a vehicle, at 2,000 miles rarely more than, it gets serviced, oil change, and lube. If you do the math that's over 200 oil changes on that pickup.

Total parts that I can think of that aren't original:
Engine & Clutch
Adapter between tranny/t-case
brakes & shocks
Carpeting, and seat's been recovered, just two yrs ago
Fan Motor
AC Pump & Canister
Speedometer, it's on it's third

Unless there's some more little bity things long time ago, that I don't know about, that's pretty much it.

Oh yeah, and my dad had a big f**kin oops one day, it was on a beaver-tail semi trailer one day, the kind you've got to raise the tail up on to release the lock, then you can fully lower it, the phone rang and he ran to get it as he was lowering it. It was still almost all the way up when he returned, but forgot to finish lowering it and started to back it off, and bent the rear driveline as it rolled off the end of the trailer. I could hear the cussing from the next county. But everything has thus far been a Genuine GM Replacement, except for my WARN hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Pride of Ownership...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's a great FS GM story![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Those pickups are nearly indestructible![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's good to see that you have an appreciation for the "historic significance" of your truck.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've owned NINE FS GM's, (two were Suburbans), and in my mind, 200,000 miles is JUST GETTING STARTED. Two little things I've always done to extend the life of my engines: (1) I always install a regular FILTER on the crankcase inlet and get away from that silly piece of gauze in the air cleaner; and (2) I always use the truck filter on those 350's because by doing so I'm adding an extra quart of oil to the circulating oil family.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My latest unit is an '80 I bought used and totally rebuilt. On that one I used a Cadillac screw-on oil filter with the PCV nipple welded into a threaded pipe fitting and THAT punches into the valve cover as the inlet for the PCV system.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I NEVER have a 350 go less than 150K before rebuilding, and some have gone over 275K.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I've only had one 454, and it was basically a boat anchor; very disappointing.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:14 AM
87sm465np208

wow man, onl y in a chevy eh, i really enjoyed reading that story, it made me look at my truck with a whole new perspecitve, i have an 87' 1\2 ton 4x4 shortbed, 350 TBI with the muncie sm465\np208 combo, i do love the truck, rusty but bodys not falling off as far as that goes., your story was very good, shows how good chevys reputation was for their 77-87 era chevy trucks, built touigh as nails and more relaible then a steel ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, got an 87 with 175,000 on it. Replaced Water pump, starter, alternator, radiator, and rear end. Love those chevy's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, got an 87 with 175,000 on it. Replaced Water pump, starter, alternator, radiator, and rear end. Love those chevy's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:39 PM
87sm465np208

what kind of rear end did you put in your 87? and why did you replace it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:40 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Yeah the only thing that can beat pride of owning a truck like that is the pride in something you've built, that is is it actually works. Hehehehehe, cool story man....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well my rear end went out on me, cracked gears. So I just replaced the whole rear end. This is before I knew I was going to lift it. Hind sight 20-20. Anyhow, I got a used rear end out of New York 3.73 gear positive traction. Now that it's done I'm going to have to get another sooner or later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode