Opinion on BFG MT's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinion on BFG MT\'s

Own a 2000 2 WD GMC Sierra.,installed a FabTech 3" suspension lift on her.
I am not a true blue 4wheeler or Mudder per say...
but I like to indulge in ruffing it @ my brother's ranch.
Which is not that often I have to say....
Dilema is...I want to be practical...
but...I also want some tires that look aggressive and mean.
I've heard that if I make the expense of the BFG MT's...
I will not get more than 25000 miles out of them if
I use them on the street and highway.
Bad thing is that I drive on the freeway approx. 30 miles a day to from work.
But then again "I love the way the BFG MT's Look."
Any opinions on the subject.
I'm all EARS!
Yes....I can take constructive criticism.
Thanx............................................. .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:34 PM
BigBlueZ71

Re: Opinion on BFG MT\'s

Well, I have.....about 25,000 miles on my BFG MT's I believe. And there isn't much tread left. I think I could probably get about 10......MAYBE 15k more out of them if I really ride them down to nothing. I drive mainly street also, school/work/ etc. In the mud they are great, sand...they're ok, I haven't hit much sand except the beaches of galveston and corpus and the sand there is pretty wet and packed anyway. Overall I have liked them, just wish they would have kept the aggressive tread look a little longer. oh, I rotate and balance them religiously every 3,000 miles.
As far as the ride goes. They have a nice hummmm to them, not too incredibly loud, but you know they're there. In my opinion they ride pretty smooth on the highway/street. I guess my only real problem with them was the price.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

Guys talk about getting 40k outta their MT's on fullsizes, so it is possible.

The BFG MT is a good tire, but the thing is, they want a crapload for them and unless you really need that 3 ply sidewall, why pay so much for it? Cooper Discoverer STT's or any other Radial MT will look similar and last as long if the Load Rating is similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:38 AM
SHOTGUN

Yeah but in some weird and unusual places Andrew the Cooper's cost more![img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've finally decided on BFG AT's for the torque monster. Looks like I'm gonna be starting school this fall after all so I'll need them mileage wise. Gonna need tires before Feb. I can tell you that. Plus I can get them for about $650 for 4 with a tire protection plan through my work![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Truckin55, if you drive highway like I do everyday get the AT's. They still look cool enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Cooper's....I can't get the damn things to wear fast enough though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My Mom burned off a set in two years.. and 30,000 miles on a S10 Blazer. She drives fast but doesn't spin the tires.. and they were rotated every 6,000 miles or so.

I never liked Cooper truck tires because they had wimpy sidewalls, weatherchecked almost as bad as Uniroyal, and didn't last long.

But I've heard many good things about the Discoverer ST and STT. They're on my list of tires to look at.

All BFGs have been ****canned.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 03:16 PM

I've been running Cooper Discoverer LT's for over a year now and they wear like stones. I've want to go bigger in a Discoverer ST but have to wait these to wear out(maybe). Why do you think Coopers have a wimpy sidewall? They all have a D or E load range. I've pulled a couple chunks out of the tread on the rocks without any puncture problems on the sidewall.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've heard of several people ending up with punctured sidewalls. Basically the LT is nothing more than a glorified car tire. There's no meat on the sidewall. Or at least there didn't used to be. I haven't seen a set in a long time.

My Dad never really had too much of a problem with his other than they wore out fast. I think he had "E" tires.. they were rated for 80psi but he ran them at 45.

Both my Mom and Dad have worn out Discoverer LTs really fast. My Dad's set wore really good for the first 25% then they wore out really fast. I want a set of tires that'll last me three years. Even his old Laredo MTs lasted 40,000 miles. I don't have the money laying around to buy another set of tires in 18-24 months.

How many miles do you have on yours?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the BFG AT's myself. I do alot of highway driving...school, work, out of town alot and they are all around good tires. I've put 44k miles on them in 2yrs. and 9 months and they still look good. I'll be getting them again after these wear out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

How are you getting so many miles out of them?

Around here a tire's life is shorter anyway due to the fact that even the straight roads are curved and everything is hills. Oh, and there is always sand on the roads. The motorcyclists complain about it all the time.

But even where I'm from a BFG AT doesn't last all that long.. usuallly to the warranty at 40-45k if they're real easy on them. In other words, on a 3200lb S-series instead of a 4400lb fullsize. All I want out of a tire is to make it to its warranty.

My cousin has a set of 275x75r6s on his 98 extended cab Z71 with about 15k on them and half the tread is gone. And he drives like a girl.

It seems I'm getting a lot of mixed signals about both Cooper and BFG. I can tell you one thing and that's Cooper's $110/tire is a lot more reasonable than BFG's $160/tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode