heres the plan, well kinda anyways, (350 ideas) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

heres the plan, well kinda anyways, (350 ideas)

my 350 is pushing 250k miles or over I have no way of knowing for sure,

its gettn time for bonuses to be handed out at work so I was thinkn either lift it or start building a motor. motor would be smarter move knowing this ones could puke any day now.

heres the list of parts.
350 short block 4 bolt main, the kit comes unassembled with forged flat top pistons. rods pistons installed on rods. all bearins seals and gaskets, well not quite all gaskets but most. timing gears and chain. well anyways dont have it infront of me to list here, but it runs 1650 for the kit.

then I was thinking to toss a edlebrock cam, intake, maybe heads, thats kinda iffy at the 1200 for the pair with valves and all installed. some shorty headers. or instead of heads maybe do the multi point fuel injection by eldebrock then save up for the heads for later. hmmm what else was I thinking.

I totatld everything all up with tax and it comes ti just under 5grand, wich is kinda steep, ohhhhh I had my exhaust price in that to, wich I wont tell you what Ive got in mind cause I no what kinda responses Ill get from it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I could do the short block and toss my junk on it for around 2500 and that would be running or hop it up for another grand or so with just heads and have decent motor with potential to build off later.

or leave the motor all stock with my parts and whipple super charger and id be at 5500 as rough guess on price whipple installed and running. the whipple idead is kinda of dream thought but who knows

what do you think am I out of my mind.

ohhhhhhh and Im wanting this to be tourgue motor, so the cam may not be needed, thatl probly just bump my peak power to higher rpm wich inst what I want to do. how we get all the parts rounded up to get this thing to run like a cummins 500ft lb of tourger peakin at 2500-3000 at most, yeah yeah I know that would be hard to do. yes I may be truly out of my mind on that one

thankx for your time and ideas

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: heres the plan, well kinda anyways, (350 ideas)

Buy a crate smallblock, pop it in, done. They make some really nice tourque biased 383's and some decent all around 350's, drop in for TBI too. I wouldn't bother building and engine for 4500 when you can buy a crate for 3500, but thats me. They comes with warrenties too!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Go visit the local GM dealership. You can buy a HT 383 for $4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:51 PM

My friend josh traded in a 88 or 89 TBI 305 for a 355 at napa i think, motor only cost him 1500 or something like that and the 305, was screwed up 3 ways from sunday too
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If your thinking of spending close to 5 grand on an engine, consider the GM Performance engine options also. My pick from GM would be the HT 383,[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] check out the following link. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/HT_383.html>http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/HT_383.html</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you choose a dealership you can get prices from this website:
<a target="_blank" href=https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/store/catalog/Category.jhtml?CATID=1099>https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/store/catalog/Category.jhtml?CATID=1099</a>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

definitely go GMPP crate.... it's SO much easier and i believe they all have 3yr warranties. that 383 does sound like quite a torque monster [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 01:03 AM
Mud in my Veins

Gonna jump on the pile here, 383 crate with your TBI and a custom tuned chip. Headers and exhaust as you see fit.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:44 AM
ratlover

Ok.....I'm going to be different. If you have the ability, tools/time/place to do it. I would say build your own. You should be able to build one cheaper than 5 grand. I would stay away from the forged pistons, I would also stay away from the edelbrach cam and heads. The cam because it wont be matched for what you want to do and the heads because the aluminum heads wont suit you the best either IMO. I would go with a 350(dont even need to be 4 bolt at your power level) with some hyperutetic pistons(compression ratio will depend on if you want to run 92 or 87 octane) with some dart iron egal heads(or if you have deccent stockers have them redone but I wouldnt buy the darts or any aftermarket head assembled) I would go with full length headers BTW. You need to decide if you want FI or will go for a carb....that will dictate the manifold you use. Reconditioned rods and crank(even cast would be ok at this power level)or scat stuff. If you are buying a new crank anyway id dont cost much more to step up to a stroker crank and some 5.6 rods(regular 350 lenght)

the idea of doing heads later is kinda screwy IMO, build her once and build her right....

can you take the 350 outa your truck and rebuild it and have your truck outa comission for awhile?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The HT 383 is a nice motor but for 1800 dollars less the 350 HO is also a excellent option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode