My wallet just lost weight... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

My wallet just lost weight...

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Ijust had to share that my project is progressing nicely. I spent last Saturday stripping down and cleaning up the D60, I'll paint it this weekend.

I also just ordered the first load of parts from Drivetrain Direct. 5.13 gears for both axles, master install kits for both ends, an ARB for the front, and a full 35 spline conversion kit - stubs, Warn Premium hubs, and new Spicer non greasable joints. I have a open carrier with welded spiders for the 14 bolt on the way that a guy from another board is selling me, and then I should be set for the guts! I'm so happy, I've been waiting over 18 months to start ordering parts for this! WooooHoooooo![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My wallet just lost weight...

Please ship them to:
Matt Norby
452 N Hamil.......

Thank you [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thats cool. I'm in teh same boat too getting stuff ready for my 60. Not that much though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:09 PM

how much did you spend on the ARB if you don't mind me asking? Did you buy the compressor or are you building a York OBA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green>Don't know exactly how much it was, I was going for more of the full package price on the stuff. It probably ended up right around $649 tax and shipping included, so call it $575 or so. I'm going to run it off of a York OBA setup that I'm putting together, for which I'm going to go buy a tank for right now...[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:05 PM

Sounds like your headed the same direction I took/taking. I pulled my air tank of a salvage yard semi for $10. I welded the brackets on the outside of the frame right under the passenger side seat. York OBA rocks...I love the looks you get using airtools on the trail or in the driveway. Now I just have to pinch my pennies for an ARB. Are you planning on installing the ARB yourself? Let me know how it turns out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green>Just picked up the tank, didn't get as good of a deal as you though, mine cost me $30. Good sized tank though, amybe 4-5 gallons. I'm planning on attaching mine under the bad, between the framerails just forward of the rear axle. Should fit in there nicely and not interfere with anything (I hope...). I am going to install the ARB myself, I don't trust any of the gear shops around here, they'll just F it all up anyways. I figure if it's going to get F'd up I might as well do it myself and learn something in the process...

You have any more info on your OBA setup? I pretty much have my plan worked out, the only thing left to do is go aout and buy all the misc fittings and then fab up a bracket to mount the compressor on the motor.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

What is York OBA?

My Dad's been using one of those little piston-type air compressors you buy for emergency roadside repairs for a long time (you know, those $30 things you see at K-mart). He used a regulator off a regular air compressor to control when it turned on and off. The tank is a long one that looks like a really tall gallon paint can. It's a diver's tank he picked up for dirt cheap. It holds five gallons and probably weighs forty pounds. It mounts on the outside of the frame on the passenger side. I think the first time he used it was back in 1990 on our first trip to Silver Lake sand dunes in his truck. There was nothing like sitting in the parking lot airing up your tires while everybody else waits at the service station.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a york is an older style AC pump that is internally lubed instead of using the freon so therefore you can use it as an air pump. I got my tank froma wrecked semi truck. Haven't gotten time to mount it all up yet. My york is run off a big electir motor and am probably gonna mount on a fender or on teh bed corner
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

<font color=green>A york is a piston style AC compressor that was used on some cars in the 70s and 80s. The long stroke versions pump some serious air and are very simple to use as an air compressor, they are powerful enough to run a 1/2" impact for short spurts. They pump way more air than any of the commercially available on board air systems, Ready-Air, ARB, whatever, the York pumps way more air. They are also capable of going up to about nearly 200psi, although 150psi is the most people generally recommend. OBA stands for On Board Air.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You proabably know this but...

Be careful to install a good regulator for that ARB. They say that it will operate from 60psi to 110psi (I think) but don't go over 95psi. I was reading that someone installed with the max psi (110) and blew their O rings. Just a caution...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode