give me your opinoin on my idea - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:21 AM
87sm465np208

give me your opinoin on my idea

i have a 4x4 chevy short bed, with the 350 TBI power plant, i have no idea how old the fuel filter is so im gunna change my fuel filter this weekend hopefully, the fuel line is the one that can only be orederd from gm, i think, if they make it anymore, but i dont want to do that, its the one that goes from the fuel filter to the stainless steel braided feed hose, my pan is to cut and leave about 3-4 inches of that line on, by the stainless line, the fuel filter\ and line are rusted together, except i have gotten the rear line off the fuel filter with great ease, but the front is rusted pretty bad, and well if i try to take it off it will break off with the line nut, so im gunna cut the line going to the stainless line, and then take off the fuel filter with the fuel line, and unbolt the rear line, take it off, go to the store buy 2 ft of high pressure fuel hose, and 1 foot of steel fuel line, and two small hose clamps. then get home and cut the steel line in half, bolt it to the front of the fuel filter, then bolt the rear line back on, then put the fuel hose on the part that i cut on the old feed line, and then hose clamp it on, then put it on the line on the fuel filter and hose clamp it on, then it should work. give me your opinoin, thanks. bye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:40 AM
87sm465np208

Re: give me your opinoin on my idea

please respond
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:32 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I believe that these lines are under pretty high pressure, I'm not sure if regular hose clamps are going to be enough to prevent leaks. You may need to use compression fittings to get a good seal, or buy the fuel line from GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I thought TBI only operated on like 18-20lbs of pressure? I don't know, I'm just saying. I know some MPFI/TPI systems run at 80lbs.. but a hose clamp is good for at least 40lbs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:07 PM
87sm465np208

yea your right, tbi systems use like 13 psi, ill look further into
it
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:45 PM
87sm465np208

just called downers grove auto parts, the guy set me straight [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. all in all it should work out chevy wanted 50$ for the damn line, and it was discontinued. i called my reliable local auto parts dealer and they carry special parts for my purpose, special high pressure hose clamps, special line, and the steel hose to make it all posible. but thanks for replying guys, it was greatly appreiccated.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:02 AM
ratlover

Any time I use a ohe clamp on fule line under any pressure(even a carbed set up) I double clamp the dude because gas leaks=very bad. I am paranoid though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:17 PM
87sm465np208

thanks ratlover, i dont think im gunna double clam it tho, tbi systems only use 9-13 psi, just probly a few more then a carbed set up. and do you know of any places to wheel' in illinois because me and my friend are sorta getting to used to the area we already goto and are starting to drive around backwards through mud, so if you do, your help would be greatly apprecated.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

My in tank pumps went out on me and i installed an in line pump. when i did this, i only used fuel line and one hose clamp. I have since replaced the fuel pumps, but used a piece of fuel hose with 2 hose clamps holding it to the line. No leaks in over 1.5 years.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You can go to NAPA to get the fuel line repair piece. It is a new fitting &amp; line to replace either side of the fuel line into the filter. Then you just connect the new line and old line with a compression fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode