A new home - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A new home

I think I have found a new home. And to think I didn't ever know this board existed.
My truck is built on a '79 frame. The body is an '86 from a 2x. I have a '92 roller cam 350 bolted to a th-400/np 203. D44 front and 12 bolt rear. 4" lift and 33's
Here is what I want to do over the next several months; 6" lift, 35" BFG muds, Detroits front and rear, 4:11 gears, amd a 203/205 doubler.
The only thing I can't decide is where to go with the powerplant, I have narowed it down to 3 choices; 1. Edelbrock EFI- better on angles, more reliable. 2. Holley 144 Powercharger- Blowers are cool, need I say more? 3. Screw the smallblock and go bigblock- I can get a running 454 for $400, all I have to do is extract it from the truck-like wrapper it is currently in.

So, what do you think? Do you have any other mod ideas I haven't listed?

Thanks, Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 PM

Re: A new home

Welcome aboard, sounds like a sweet rig already.

We can help you better if you tell us what sort of terrain you like to run, and if you do much highway/daily driving with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well right now it is my daily driver but it may not be soon, although I am not against driving a trail rig to work. Basically the only off-road it has seen so far is sand dunes, I make a few trips a year to Silver Lake sand dunes (here in MI). but I want a general purpose trail rig that won't be unmanageable on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:07 AM

Well, since it sounds like you have a stout motor now I would go for the fuel injection for said reasons.

You may want to consider upgrading your axles before you buy front and rear lockers. I've heard bad things about lockers in 1/2T front ends.

If sand is your deal why do you want the doubler?? Can't imagine super low gears being a bonus for running sand hills.

My personall advice drivetrain wise would be to weld or lock the rear and save your cash until you find what is holding you back on the trails. Sounds like you are more interested in a capable 4x4 then street manners so IMHO the best thing is to do is do trim the fenders to fit the 35's (since you're already 4" up) and wheel it until you know what mod is going to get you further up the trail, or back home from the top.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

Do the big block, sell the small block, and do a light build on the BBC, then get bigger axles.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:18 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I too would strongly suggest upgrading the axles rather than putting money into what you have. Consider this - regearing your 1/2 ton axles will cost about $400 in parts, at least $300 in labor. Detroits for both ends will run say $400 each, and that's conservative, for a total of $1500. If you keep you feelers out and are willing to drive a bit to pick them up, you can get a set of axles from a military 1 ton for about $1500 to $2000, and they'll already have 4.56s and a Detroit in the rear. A much better way to go if you ask me. With those axles you'll be set all the way up to 44s.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Shag. I went down the road of 1/2 ton axles. I broke them with 31" tires. I spent more money in parts than if I just bought the stupid 1-ton axles in the first place.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 14-bolt FF in my garage I was going to put in my last truck. However over the last 4 or so years I haven't been able to find a D60 anywhere near me that I could afford.

Also, I want the doubler because althougt sand is mostly what the truck has seen so far, once it is ready, it will see mostly trails.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

especially with a doubler, 1/2 ton gear won't last long. Doublers rock though, lemmy tell ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode