472 Caddy or Pontiac 400 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

472 Caddy or Pontiac 400 swap

Okay, this sounds like a good idea but I need to know some specifics. Do you need to knotch the frame for exhaust routing to install it in an 86, 1-ton, 4x4? Where do you get engine mounts? Do they bolt in? My goal is to make this truck run as quickly and cheaply as possible. I also can get a Pontiac 400. Would this better achive my goal? I can do engine work, just can't fabricate.

Thanks,

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: 472 Caddy or Pontiac 400 swap

ok, friend put a 455 pontiac in his blazer... you need a bellhousing with the BOP pattern and that is a 4x4 tranny (no tail section). so the only tranny that i know of is a 350C... has both bolt patters on it, or you can get an adaptor.... ok, as for the install... put your motor mounts on the motor, both parts, set it in the truck, then weld them in... it should work... as for the exhaust... headers are a PIA (took about 6 hours to get them to fit), you have to bend them to get them to work, so i would stick with the manifolds, tho they do rob you of a lot of power tho... make sure your power steering pump has the same connectors as your steering box... ummmmmm that is all i can think of for now...
personally, if you want it quick and cheap, find a running 350 and it should bolt right in depending on what the truck originally had in it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 472 Caddy or Pontiac 400 swap

You can get an adaptor through JEG'S to bolt a BOP pattern engine to a Chevy/GMC tranny. It's like $50 or so, less than $100.

I'd go for the Caddy engine. Makes more power and Caddy's are becoming a hot swap now, so performance parts are becoming available all the time. Not to mention dirt cheap. There are still relatively few Caddy enthusiasts out there. You can get a POS 74 El Dorado with a running 472 or 500 for $500. A lot of Poncho people know what they have and want what they know it's worth.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode