Whats Your Honest Opinions on the 6.2 Diesel ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Whats Your Honest Opinions on the 6.2 Diesel ?

I thought I would ask because my good friend has a chance to buy a 87 Chevy PU with the 6.2 D and a camper goes with it ($ 4000.00). I`m not sure on the mileage . I remember hearing some not to favourable stories when they arrived on the scene . When was the first year ? Any major improvements over the years . The truck he`s looking at is an automatic . Any help/tips you could pass along would be great . Thanks !!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:20 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Whats Your Honest Opinions on the 6.2 Diesel ?

Well, I liked mine a lot, except for the not passing anything at all on the highway effect. Nice and tourquey.

The only bad things I know of are some years had iffy blocks, and if you don't know how to work on one it can be kind of a pain.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know certain years were better than others but I'm not the one who knows.

What I do know is that once they break they cost too much to fix. If it's got more than 80,000 miles on it then it's probably fixin' to break.

$4000 is way too much money unless the body is in mint condition and has low miles. Or, if the camper is worth more than the truck..

2wd 6.2L diesel pickups around here usually sit for two or three months at $500. The high mileage ones usually sit there for even longer. A comparable gas one goes for around $1500. 4wd is usually around $2000. I've only seen one 4x4 6.2L and it was in mint condition.

My point: even hicks know better than to buy a 6.2L diesel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:22 PM

Ouch...Wrath that really hurts. i tend to do alot of pulling so the torque is good for me. and RJ is right, passing isnt good at all, my 86 C10 i had would get going fast if you gave it a bit, and my 4x4 deisel, well havent driven it ahole lot so cant tell ya. when it blows ill prolly get a crate 6.2, or a 6.5 litre
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well there are ALOT of bad rumors about the 6.2 out there... most of them aren't true and most of them come from people who know nothing about them or have never owned one. i love mine (except for they are really slow, as mentioned before).

very durable from my own real-life experience, have yet to put a dime in repairs into the engine. no electronics or carburetor to mess with. gets pretty good gas mileage. parts and service costs are usually higher for any diesel, though.

wrath- "If it's got more than 80,000 miles on it then it's probably fixin' to break."

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?! sorry man, but thats some pretty harsh stuff there that i STRONGLY disagree with
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Anything diesel-specific is expensive to fix. If the vehicle is well taken care of then they last forever. However, for some reason, diesels get neglected worse than gas engines. Rarely was preventative maintenance ever applied.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen 6.2L last 200,000 miles before they needed injectors and all that hogwash. I knew a guy that got 340,000 miles out of his 6.2L. He got tired of looking at the truck so he parked it.

6.2L = gutless wonder. We're talking earth-shattering horsepower of a LoPo 305.. like in the neighborhood of 120 horses and not a lot more torque. The only difference is the torque comes early like any other diesel. A carbureted 305 gets 16mph without much effort. A 6.2L gets 20mpg on a good day.

Parts are far more expensive. Didn't I already mention that?

There's a reason why you see so many gas trucks with two battery trays. And it isn't because they added a tray.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 09:53 PM

my GMC has 244000 on it, only smokes bad when i rev it all the way up, and needs new glow plugs, my Chevy, never had motor trouble, the brakes went to crap, same as my tranny though
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 10:32 PM

My diesel has nearly 280,000 on it and runs good. Still has stock inj pump and injectors. It gets 15mpg but used to get 18 when i bought it. A rebuilt pump and new injectors would probably regain my lost mpg. The 6.2 motor itself will last 300k+ with no problems but i'll guarantee that most the components surrounding it will break(tranny, injection pump, starter, alternator, etc.)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

I know it probably wouldn't be worth it since oyu are already looking at 4G for the truck, but gale banks has a turbo kit witch puts one hell of a kick into the 6.2. I wish I could get one ofr a HMMWV at work to see what the difference would be.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 01:32 AM

The only people who have told me horror stories about 6.2's are non-owners. Everyone I know who has owned one says the same thing... Not much power but they run forever if you take care of them. Know of a couple that went 250K plus. I don't think I'd rebuild one, but if I bought a truck that had one in it and it ran well I wouldn't swap it. If you can find surplus military parts, they can be downright cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode