Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   87 TBI fuel pump replacement? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/132488-87-tbi-fuel-pump-replacement.html)

87sm465np208 08-19-2002 12:55 PM

87 TBI fuel pump replacement?

on the TBI fuel injected 350 engines, the fuel pump is in the gas tank and located under the bed, i have a short bed, now how do you go about replaceing that, it sounds really really hard, and time consumeing, and about how much is the fuel pump, and what would have to be replaced. and about how long do they last?

Bowtiepower00 08-19-2002 01:43 PM

Re: 87 TBI fuel pump replacement?

Not very hard, just a PITA. Either drain the tank and drop it, or yank the bed off. The pump should run from $75 and up depending on where you get it and how nice of a pump you get. Shouldn't take more than a 1/2 day.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-19-2002 02:39 PM

pulling teh bed is very easy. Like 6 bolts I think, maybe 8. Might help to PB Blast the bolts a couple days before hand to help them come off. Two guys and the thing is off.

87sm465np208 08-19-2002 10:16 PM

sounds good, well thanks everybody, talk to ya'll later, bye bye

Bowtiepower00 08-20-2002 01:37 AM

If your bed has never been removed (even if it has) you would be wise to use an impact wrench to remove the bolts. They can be pretty in there pretty tight after all those years. Make sure you loctite them when you put the bed back on. Blue should be fine and will make future removal easier.

87sm465np208 08-20-2002 09:18 AM

alright, well you guys certinly took a load off my mind, dosnt sound so hard now, even tho it probly will be for me, im gunna change my fuel filter this weekend hopefully, the fuel line is the one that can only be orederd from gm, i think, if they make it anymore, but i dont want to do that, its the one that goes from the fuel filter to the stainless steel braided feed hose, my pan is to cut and leave about 3-4 inches of that line on, by the stainless line, the fuel filter\ and line are rusted together, except i have gotten the rear line off the fuel filter with great ease, but the front is rusted pretty bad, and well if i try to take it off it will break off with the line nut, so im gunna cut the line going to the stainless line, and then take off the fuel filter with the fuel line, and unbolt the rear line, take it off, go to the store buy 2 ft of high pressure fuel hose, and 1 foot of steel fuel line, and two small hose clamps. then get home and cut the steel line in half, bolt it to the front of the fuel filter, then bolt the rear line back on, then put the fuel hose on the part that i cut on the old feed line, and then hose clamp it on, then put it on the line on the fuel filter and hose clamp it on, then it should work. give me your opinoin, thanks. bye.

The_Kid 08-20-2002 07:34 PM

I dropped the tank when i did my pump, but after doing the body lift I realized it would of ben much easier to pull the bed and then have working room from the top to change the pump.

its not hard, the only hard part is getting that dang oring and lock ring deal back on, takes some fanagleing is all

Evan

Blazer1970 08-21-2002 12:30 PM

If your fuel lines by the filter are rusty, be prepared to replace the entire sending unit when you go to replace the fuel pump. The fuel line connections to the sending unit will rust worse than the ones at the filter, making them impossible to remove without twisting the tubing lines off the sending unit. The sending unit is about $300 for these trucks.