Lift on 89 Suburban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift on 89 Suburban

Hi I'm new to the forums (and 4 wheelin in general) and I dont know jack [censored] about anything. I had a 2wd truck for awhile that was the biggest POS EVER (I am serious about that) but I blew a rod in it so my parents bought me a 4wd 89 Suburban. It already has 31x10 tires (all terains) on it but I want bigger and more agressive tires. Now here's the problem...my dad hates lifts and tecnically the suburban is his. (mine till I graduate) He says that they overstress the frame and everything else in the vehicle and he wont let me get even a 3" lift so I can get 33x12.50s. My question is this...is ther any credible source (book, website, etc.) that says that lifts (without offset tires) do not over stress components? Also, how much lift would I need to be able to use 33x12.50s on non-offset wheels? Here is a picture of The Bus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Lift on 89 Suburban

Put on flares and then run 33's, no lift to worry about.

Print out a picture of my truck as it is now, then carry it around and go "Oooooh just wait just wait" Then, when forbidden, suggest a measley 4" and 35's. Or not, whatever...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 07:59 PM

Suspension lifts don't overstress anything, it's the bigger diameter tires that overstress things. Like, axleshafts, u-joints, gears, spiders, steering components, etc.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Mud in my Veins

Willys, you forgot stupid driving.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:34 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok...hey Joe where could I get the flares? If I can eventually scrape up the dough I am going to get the bigger tires with almost no offset rims. Are aluminum or steel rims better? What are each one's flaws and advantages? I also want to put on the steering support bracket (another $105). Would I need to re-gear? It has 3.73 in it right now. Maybe some engine upgrades after that... *hopefully not just wishful thinking*
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Mud in my Veins

Steel rims are cheap and more 4x4 friendly. Dent a rim? Hammer it back to shape. Got corrosion on it? Sand it and paint it a new color. Damage it? Eh, it only cost you $50. Not $100 or more for an aluminum.

It's pretty much impossible to get rims with NO offset. Very rare. A good backspacing for what you want would be 2.5" to 3".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode