Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   gotta love that (L) on that shifter knob (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/132294-gotta-love-l-shifter-knob.html)

87sm465np208 08-17-2002 07:31 PM

gotta love that (L) on that shifter knob

1 Attachment(s)
im 17 and i love the fact that my gear reduction is about 63:1, my t-case is a np 208, yea yea, i dont do any hard core stuff, just general off-roading, and mud, mild hill climbing, no pulling a trailer, or any stuff like that. i love the fact that i can have it in 4 low and get it into granny and decend a steep hill at a walking pace, and not even touch the brake petal, its nice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. i did the wheel joints a few weeks back, that was a first, thanks to my dads friend, i got it done, no more grateing noises from the front end when i lock the hubs and have it in 4wd. yea i did the u-joints too, that was a larf. i did certinly enjoy it too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kendog454 08-17-2002 07:58 PM

Re: gotta love that (L) on that shifter knob

Gee, all my shifter knob says is B&M............

AJMBLAZER 08-17-2002 11:28 PM

Hahaha, welcome aboard man. Truck sounds cool man. 87 means fuel injection but still SFA, good year. Welcome to the SFA GM club. Wish I had one right now.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Enjoy it.

pitviper 08-18-2002 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your not the only one, this is what I have to play with for the next 5 years or so. My dad was lucky he got the HD for Christmas.

AJMBLAZER 08-18-2002 04:51 PM

pv, don't feel so bad, at least it's 4x4. Those are hubs I see up front, right? A Ram 50 is just a rebadged Mitsubishi pickup if I remember correctly. Doesn't have the image of a big truck or anything, but it isn't a bad design or anything. The Japanese built/build some good 4x4's. My personal feelings are their trucks have a higher "strength per size ratio" than most US trucks do until you get up to the US 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Not to mention people don't associate your truck with teenage girls and yuppies like my Tracker.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

pitviper 08-19-2002 12:34 AM

True, I just wish that they would have put a v6 or atleast a morepowerful 4banger in it. Yes those are hubs you see and yes it's a Mitsubishi with Dodge stickers. The 2.6l doesn't exactly take your breath away.I love the way it looks so I think I'll eventually look for a K5 frame to put it on.

AJMBLAZER 08-19-2002 12:49 AM

Yeah, I always thought they had a certain look to them. Saw one once where a guy put a 3" body lift on it and had 32x11.5R15's that were kinda sucked in under the body. Probably woulda rubbed like hell offroad, but man, it looked cool.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...n%20truck1.JPG

Don't put it on another frame, just bolt on some bigger axles. Some Toyota axles would probably work great, about the right width. Cut off the IFS, mount some spring brackets, and move the spring perches on the axles. Custom leaf spring packs or whatever, and whalla, solid axle Ram 50. I know it's been done. Much simpler than a frame swap.

pitviper 08-20-2002 12:44 AM

Yeah that's true, I saw one at a tuff truck competition. My dad and I just put a 3 in. body lift on it and it has 225/75/r15 Wilderness tires, I'm saving money to get some more aggresive tires in either 235/75 or 30x9.50 not sure what brand prolly what ever is cheapest. it doesn't flex to bad now that the lift is on the only limiting thing is the bump stops. here is another picture.
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...n%20truck3.JPG

Shaggy 08-20-2002 01:12 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Uhhh, you call that not flexing too bad? I've seen skateboards with more flex that that![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] No offense intended, but you need to find some flexier springs for the rear and get a solid axle in the front!

pitviper 08-20-2002 02:28 PM

Yes it's all in the works with only one hold up, $$$. I'm only a highschool student with a minimum wage job. Once I get into msome more money I'm going to find myself a donor toyota to take axles from and what ever else I need. It flexs a lot better than it used to, The torsion bars were cranked way up and the tires rubbed sometimes still.