Project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Project

I'm new to this board so bear with me. I've got an 87 silverado,350sb, 373 ratio, 700r the basics. I've just ordered a 4" superlift. I plan on runnig 33x12.50 on 15x10's. Hopefully super swampers and I'm not sure what kind of rims yet. I bought a steering arm and shackle extentions to go with it. The shakle extentions to raise the front so it will be level. I plan on making a machine out of it.400sb, 400turbo, and a new gear? I plan on going up with it a little more but don't have the money to buy a new gear yet. My question is am I going in the right direction, and what else chould or should I do for cheap while I'm lifting it. Also it's a nice truck but I'm not scared to scratch it and want something I not limited with. I'll be glad to give help when I can on this board and will greatly appreciate any I get. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 05:59 PM

Re: Project

it being an 87, it prolly has 10 bolt front and rear axles on it, before getting gears for them or a locker for either, consider upgrades, 14 bolt Full Floaters are dirt cheap and common, plus cheaper to get gears or lockers for them. front axle a Dana 44 unless you plan to go really big tires in which case a dana 60 would be better. Glad to have ya here
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:04 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>*sigh* All respect due to Drey, the upgrades are probably not neccesary unless you're planning on really flogging the truck. 33s are not all that big and you should be OK with teh 10 bolts for now. When you decide to change the gearing in the axles look for a set of 3/4 ton axles with the gears you want already in them. It will be cheaper than regearing what you have and will be stronger axles. If you had asked before you had bought your lift I would have recommended a different brand, but that is moot at this point. What do you mean by extended shackles? Extended shackles in the rear will lower the truck, and they aren't really required to level the front, so I'm confused. What are you using to lift the rear? I'd suggest a shackle flip to get it up 4" to match the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 10:48 PM

sorry i didnt specify enough, i meant if you go bigger then 33s and want to regear, sorry about that
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, as far as the lift goes I'm sure everyone whould have advised me on another lift. But I thought it was the best lift for the money, and money is something I don't have alot of. Anyhow, I bought the shackle extentions too raise the front just a tad. On an 87 there are front leafs therefore thats where the shackle come. The truck leans over just a little in the front. Normal but I whould like it to be corrected. Thanks, for the Help
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 10:37 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Ah, so you bought longer shackles. The lingo is what confused me, never heard them called shackle extensions before. Hope they're not too long or you'll end up with a pretty funky pinion angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode