Smoke Factor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Smoke Factor

i have been running my truck more often in the past couple days, unfortunatly only like 2-3 minutes at a time, not long enough to get up to a running temp, and i cant take it out down the road, because i havent got insureance on it yet. also glow plugs are bad in it, so i have been using starter fluid. after i get my bumpers and stuff on it this weekend im going to give her a oil change. i think this might help a bit, oil hasnt been changed in about 10 months, of course hasnt had 30 miles put on it in that ammount of time. also, starter fluid and just sitting htere i am also thinking would make the exhuast smokeier(spelling/grammer) is this true, or is it the worst assumption i have made yet.

also rear axle has a bit of fluid/gunk buildup on the bottom of the diff cover, i am going to change it anyway, but should i be concerned with breaking off bolts.

then this is on my S-10 but im sure is pretty much the same. if my throw out bearin is rattling will it hurt anything, im gonna try greaseing it, although, i think that will help

and one last one(i know chrome is ricey and all that,) but will mitric(spelling) acid take off the buildup of stuff and a bit of rust over the years, my rims look like crap, when the rest of the truck is nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:40 AM

Re: Smoke Factor

For the rust on the chrome, Im pretty sure that coke and tin foil will take that off. Cigarette foil is what I read you should use, but isnt that wrapping just tin foil?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:40 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ether boils at a very low temperature/pressure and therefore combusts easy. It won't make a difference unless you've been squirting so much in that it is washing the cylinder walls.

I have had three differential covers off in the last few months. Two hadn't been opened since 84 and the other since 77. The 1977's bolts almost fell out but the cover was a pain to get off. The 84's bolts were so rusted I ended up grinding the heads down to 12mm. Other than that they came out just fine. I replaced them all with stainless.

Your throwout bearing is probably non-serviceable. Go buy a metal replacement one for $25. You can get a plastic one for $20 but they aren't worth the effort to put it in.

I always used hydrochloric acid or metal prep (the gel green stuff you use to etch the metal so primer will stick to it) on chrome. I, myself, find that a pad of steel wool with some mother's aluminum polish or some turtle wax chrome polish works pretty good.

When are you going to get us some pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

well trying to talk my mom into one of those digital cameras on ebay that are like 18 bucks. im getting plenty of photos on my normal camera, but i dont have a scanner either. and my one friend that does, already has a stack of 15 that she said would be done like 2 weeks ago, so im hopeing i can just get a digital camera.
ill try that coke thing to, but have to get some normal coke im assuming all ive been buying is Vanilla Coke, and not much of it latly either. trying to cut back, water is better
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know where you live but a lot of the times the office chains will have digital cameras for $30 or less on sale.

I've tried to coke thing, all I end up with is sticky fingers. However, I have used toilet bowl cleaner. That works pretty good but kills grass.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:52 AM
SHOTGUN

You want smoke? You outta see my Cummins smoke![img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

J/K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

i believe ya, i bow down to the fact that even if i do get 1 ton running gear you will still pull me around in circles if we tie up chains...[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Veteran

SOS pads are great for taking surface rust off of chrome. I usually buy the small ones to get in little places easier

No "sticky fingers" like Coke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode