Think mY SMack is WhacK! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Think mY SMack is WhacK!

noticed recently that my truck bed is considerably lower on the passenger side (about 2 inches)..I havent owned the truck long, and I'm still giong over details to make sure its road worthy. Any guesses? I replaced shocks all around. Maybe leaf springs? I know leafs can get weak..but how the hell does one loose life and the other not? Nobody around here even carries new leaf springs. oh yeah..this is a 78chev.short, 1/2ton/350/350/np203/12boltR. I have a set of springs off of a 79 (identical truck)Would puttin used springs on be worth the effort? I dont mind the ride..but it looks like [censored]. Also, shackle bushings, spring bushings seem OK..visably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: Think mY SMack is WhacK!

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Park truck on flat, level surface and bust out a tape measure. Measure from hub flange to ground (both sides), from a couple of arbitrary points (pick your own point, but make sure you use the same point on both sides) on the frame to ground (both sides), and from a couple arbitrary points from the bed to the ground... This will tell you where the discrepancy is located... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Report back with results and just where the discrepancy from one side to another starts...

Basic question, does it have the same size, brand and style tires on both sides?

Replacing shocks should have no affect what so ever no matter what, since shocks don't support any of the weight of the vehicle...

That's the best way to troubleshoot any problem by the way... Just step back, take a look at what factors could potentially contribute and run a test...

And by the way, please in the future try and use subject lines that *MAKE SENSE* and pertain to what the subject of the post really is... i.e. "Why is one corner of the truck sitting low" and so forth... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Makes it easy for people who know to find it if they don't read all posts but know they can answer that one so look, and makes it easier for when somebody wants to search for it...</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I have measured some already..(but not alot)

From bottom of fender well, to center of hub is 24 inches on driver side, 22 1/2 inches on the passenger side.

yes the tires are the same size and brand, tread wear, etc.. Also, the bed is very straight, no dents, rust ....so i dont "think" that the bed is throwing me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 03:58 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">We'll see just what the issue is after all those other things are measured too... I don't honestly care about the numbers you get for it, what I do care about is what measurement the discrepancy between the sides starts at... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The only time I'd care about the numbers is if you don't find just one big difference, but each measurement has a little difference and it adds up to pretty near the whole difference... </font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 05:57 PM

both of my front ones are shot, one of my back ones is...enter 2 inch full spring lift
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Do a four inch or I'm driving to your goat humping town ramming my truck into the telamarketing place and smacking you really hard. Or do whatever you want its up to you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

that makes almost as much sense as my subject line
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:26 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Check the leafs for a broken one. I'm willing to bet if you crawl under there with a wire brush you'll find a broken one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My vote's a broken leaf. Happened to me too. Look for the crack between or just outside the u-bolts.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

anyone suggest that I install the set from the 79 truck? (its a parts truck anyway)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode