BBC and SBC bolt patterns (bellhousing) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

BBC and SBC bolt patterns (bellhousing)

I am pretty sure the bellhousing patterns are the same, but someone I know said they werent. THe specific engines I talk of are a 366BB and a 350SB. Could someone clear this up? Thanks!

*Edit* Also, are the exhaust manifolds different size? I would think they are, but I'm not for sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:23 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: BBC and SBC bolt patterns (bellhousing)

To my knowledge they never made a 366 BBC. They did make the bulletproof 400BBC (aka 396BBC). It's got the same bellhousing and flywheel as a 350SBC and all the other V8s and inline sixes except for the 400SBC and the 454BBC (which both have weighted flywheels).

Remember, the 350 has to be older than 86 to be able to use its flywheel on the 396.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

It came out of a school bus. Its the propane engine in my new truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:40 AM
Blazer1970

Yes, 366 is a tall deck BBC used in truck (med. duty) applications. Bell housing bolt patterns are the same. Exhaust manifolds for big blocks are totally different from small block stuff.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:41 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

68 to 76 and were four bolt with a tall deck. sounds like a possible horsepower monger other than it's still got a long stroke but has a small bore.

still never heard of them before.

beats me, but i imagine it's the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, where could I find parts, info, headers...?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:31 AM
ratlover

Exhaust is different from BBC's to SBC's. Bolt patern for the bellhousing is the same for all of them(except the new ls1 types I believe) But a 366 will bolt up to a 350 trany no problem.

400 was a smallblock
396 was a bigblock in late 69(I believe was the time) they took a 396 and bored it to a 402

366 was a tall deck truck BBC(there is also a 427 tall deck truck motor)

427's came in tall deck and short deck variety BTW
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:39 AM
ratlover

Headers are the same for tall deck as they are regular. But the tall deck does cause some problems. You cant use a regular distributor, cant use a regular intake manifold(you can but you gota use spacers) The exhaust flanges are the same but beings the TD moves the head up a bit you *might* run into problems. Its more of an issue in cars but just remeber that the tall deck move stuff closer to your mstercylinder and moves your exhaust up and your distributor up. Not much and its more of a problem in cars.

There are lots of people that build TD blocks(not the 366, but the 427 but the 427 parts will work for the most part on a 366) for hard core racing. TD blocks all have 4 bolt steel mains.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Edlebrack and all them make TD manifolds and most companies make TD distributors but TD parts are more expensive. Regular BBC headers should work but might not with out some mods.....there*might be* off the shelf TD headers for your application but I would be afraid to ask how much
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Cool thanks a bunch for the info! What would be a good place to find headers? with the body clearance issues, my truck has 12" long tubing standing off the frame (reinforced of course) for body mounts. The bottom of the tub is at the top of the distributor.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 07:46 AM
ratlover

Well I just saw that it was a BBC in a s10. Headers are going to be a bitch! I dont know of any cheap headers for your application. You might have to go with some stahl headers or lemons. I wouldnt be supprised if you dropped 700$[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] there might be a cheap set out there but I dont recall any(I havent ever really looked) Sounds like custom time though[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Stahl or lemon will make you some very nice headers though, I would then fit them and make shure they will work and find jet hot or another coating company and maybe if you get them coated you can get a lifetime waranty against rust through? Or get them made outa stainless, whichever is cheaper. You arent going to want to buy a set of custom headers twice. They also make weld your own kits with the flange and all that if you are deecent at fabricating and have the tools. Sorry but it sounds like you are scewed at finding a pair of 100$ headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode