NP203 Transfer Case PLEASE HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

NP203 Transfer Case PLEASE HELP

I have a NP203 transfer case (no conversion kit yet) This weekend, I pulled the front drive shaft out to replace UV Joints, so I get the front drive shaft out, throw it in the back of the truck, hop in the truck to leave, and.....nothing..truck will not move. I shift the TC into HI LOC and we're running fine, put it in LO LOC, it runs fine...But when in LO or HI it will not budge. It sounds/feels like the TC is not going into gear. I think I remember reading that the 203 has its own differential? Could it be shot? The rear wheels pull good if its in the LOC position. I am planning on installing a conversion kit so that I'm not running full time 4x4...will the kit help with this problem? Could it be the chain? Please help..I am mechanically inclined, but this is new to me. Thanks!
One more thing, if there is a serious problem with the TC, can I buy a rebiuld kit? (if there is such an animal)j

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP203 Transfer Case PLEASE HELP

Actually, it sounds like the 203 is running fine. If you remove the front driveshaft, or unlock the front hubs while in Hi or Lo it will just sit there. The 203 case acts like a differential, providing power to the weels with the least resistance. Think of the front and rear outputs as the wheels. You've removed the front driveshaft, creating less resistance. That's why the part time conversion was created for these cases. So you can unlock the front hubs and still be able to move.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I have heard of people taking there front shafts out for the summer to save on gasoline. How could that work without a conversion kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They must have put it in Loc. It's the ONLY way for it to work without the part-time conversion kit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

That's normal, nothing is wrong with the T-case. I had mine out for a short while to rebuild and had to do the same thing as well.

As for gas savings, you can't get it by doing this. I found out 2 things back in the 80's driving my 77 w/out a front shaft:

1. A 4x4 without a front shaft is a worse off-roader than a 2 wheel drive. The weight of the front axle kills it trying to climb even the slightest hill.

2. No gas can be saved driving it like this. I actually got much better gas mileage with the shaft in. The reason is that with the shaft it in helps to pull it's own weight along the road. With it out it was having to push the D44 down the road.

The only advantage I found was that having the front shaft out made burn outs a breeze! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode