Paint Update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Paint Update

finished all sanding today, taped it up except for the windsheild. tommorrow we are painting unless it rains tonight and gets too humid. so wednesday ill put my box back on. Thursday Bumpers. then saturday ill have my Senior Pictures with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Paint Update

sweet. Can't wait to see pics!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:07 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There is a cheat on windshields with the locking strip (our trucks).

Take a piece of cable or rope and work it under the rubber. This will lift the rubber up off the metal and this way you won't have paint lines next to the rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

well its done, gonna procede to order a bunch of stuff from LMC now, trim, chrome rock strips, bumper and box bolt kits.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 06:43 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Nothing against your truck, but why is it that there's so many posts in here lately on making trucks look pretty? I mean, wrath just painted his truck, and no only are painting yours but you're spending a bunch of money on new chrome strips and such!? Maybe my priorities are different, but if something doesn't make my truck stronger or more capable (or sometimes more comfortable) then I am not going to spend money on it. Seems that this forum is turning even farther away from a real wheeling forum than I thought. There's not nearly as much real off-road content in here anymore, alot of engine/tranny and paint/body stuff, not to mention the "how to make my exhaust sound the coolest" type stuff lately. I guess that's why I've been spending so much time at CK5 lately. I thought this was Off-Road.com, not Truckworld. Flame away...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 08:45 PM

Amen Shaggy...
I'm doing the body work, rust repair, and painting my truck(because I enjoy the fumes) but most of my time is spent wrenching and fixing. Chrome don't get you home
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

im not meaning to flame,but if i drove it around the way it used to look, i dont think anyone would want to wheel with me. THAT and kiss my chances of ever getting a girlfriend good bye...
i want to get it close to oringinal looks, not anyfurther then that. and im getting those trim strips so when someone opens a door agains it it will hit the strip and not bare metal. and relatively speaking im spending 300 to paint it, and prolly 100 on the other stuff
as opposed to spending 3000 to have it professionally painted, not including trim. and it is still going to get lifted and 33s, and then ill go axles from there. but my parents flat out told me, i cant spend money on lift or tires until it looks half decent,
they sort of have there so called "image" to hold up, i think its bull, ill drive a rusted out K5 or pickup. what pissed me off i mean i would prolly paint it anyway, but id make it bigger and stuff first. as for motor and exhaust and tranny.
motor - runs decent - good for me
trans - works -thats fine
exhuast - straight pipe past that i dont care how it sounds
and i also decided against the chrome rock strips, im just gonna get nice and big mud flaps
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with making your rig look all pretty. That is if your willing to scratch her up again! I have a sweet paint scheme planned for my Samurai to make it look really awesome that I am going to do, but that isn't going to stop me from hittin' the trails. I like clean looking rigs (though of course, like any true wheeler my definition of "clean" isn't what most people consider clean) so I am going to do all I can to make mine look really sharp. But that doesn't mean I'm going to pussy it on the trails. Take pride in body damage! People REALLY think your nuts when you start bragging about it! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

whats fun is when you can tell the story behind every dent or scratch. Joe's truck is a novel of sorts. When I first got my truck I made it look all perdy and stuff. No I have been looking for a K5 to put my running gear in then sell my perdy truck. Make some money off the nice paint
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:01 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know what you mean.

Well, I made my look pretty to prolong its life.

This is the first vehicle I actually plan to keep.

I replaced the motor because it was tired. I then put a front clip off a 89 Jimmy on it.

I spent $300 on two new doors and a driver's front fender. I prefer to have doors I can't see through the bottom of and front fenders that I don't mind having my hood springs hooked to.

The cost to paint came to a grand total of $74.something. I spent around $100 on undercoating. Both of these things make it so I'll have a truck to drive in a few more years.

I threw on GM wheel well trim for $65. It hides the inner lip that shows I'd done body work. Plus, it does look a lot better. $14 for a set of mudflaps to keep the stones off my rockers.

I spent $50 on new body mounts so the truck wouldn't break anything (one body mount was broken) else and it rides a lot better.

I have the interior from the truck I parted out. It had the nice cab trim and headliner. I'm going to paint it and install the trim and headliner in my truck. It'll make it a lot more quiet in the cab.

I installed a second gas tank so I could make it 500 miles before I need fuel. It's a bitch to fill through the passenger wheelwell so when I get money again I'm going to install another fuel pump that pumps the fuel from the main tank to the auxilary so then I can have my cake and eat it too.

I built my own tire carrier so I can fit my tire under my truck even with dual exhaust.

I purchased all new Moog balljoints for the front end a long time ago. They'll be put in this fall when I rebuild the front axle and brakes.

I have a 14FF waiting patiently for me to machine the hubs so I can convert it to 6 lug disc.

I've run out of money. It's come a long way but I'm out of dollars. I need to purchase new rubber (I've already bought the wheels). I need to put a new rubber mat in the cab so the floor doesn't rot out again.

Before I take it off road again two things must happen: front axle needs to be rebuilt to keep water out of it and I need a skidplate for my NP208. I just about tore it off the last time I was out. I'm used to riding an ATV where you can let 'er scrape as long as you don't catch the transmission or the edge of the tire on a rock at high speeds. I'm also used to driving a sandrail where there is no differential case hanging down and there is a bash plate under the motor/trans. All you've got to worry about is your rump getting hit because the seats hang below the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode