is my axle dead? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:32 PM
BiGwHiTeJiMmY

is my axle dead?

ok please excuse the first post about the trusses. i need some opinions on my rear axle. it has started to slightly bend in the middle. the pumpkin is saggin a little and im not sure what i should do. i got off the phone with my friend from the local 4wheel shop and he thinks its purty much SOL but another friend told me to put on an axle truss. im really limited on time and money. im a starving college kid [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and i leave back for aTm in 2 weeks. i wish i could just throw in the 14bolt and forget about it but i dont think that can happen. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: is my axle dead?

If it's bent you're pretty much SOL. To much dune air time? If that's the stock 10 bolt you were waiting for it to happen anyways. A truss will not fix it, just strengthen a fully functional axle. Fixing it involves taking the whole thing apart removing the tubes, and putting in a new tube or new tubes if both of them are bent. Put the 14 bolt in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 05:30 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Yup, it's hosed, don't bother spending money on it. You should be able to find a 10 bolt or 12 bolt that will bolt right in to replace it for cheap or even free. Guys on CK5 give them away all the time just to get rid of them. I'll be giving away my 12 bolt housing as soon as I ge tthe 1 tons under the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Jimmy, the day I finally metyou, I also met ScoodyDan from CK5. He told me the diferences between the American build Chevys and the Mexican ones. All of the 1500's are V6 equiped trucks with 10 bolts, while the 2500 is actually a V8 equiped 1/2 ton with the 6 lug SF 14 bolt. with it only being a few miles from home to Juarez, I am sure you could find an SF14 for pretty cheep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:06 AM
BiGwHiTeJiMmY

thanks guys. i figured she was dead [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] the only problem i have is i leave for school in 2weeks and next weekend i have lots of stuff to do. i talked to a guy from a club down here, Rat u may know who, the guy with the black blazer with grey flames from off-road unlimited and he told me he could weld me a truss for $130. would that hold it up till i get to school and can look around? im going to be at texas a&amp;m and there are tons of farm trucks with 1tons just waisting away in the texas sun. im sure i can find a 14bolt there or even settle for the replacement 10bolt. If i get the 14bolt my wheels are no good huh? thats more money i dont have LOL.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Instead of the OU guy, get a hold of Eric at KC elding. He has the white crewcab with boggers on it. sits just barely shorter than mine. or just spend 130-200 on a 10 bolt and be better off than with a truss. The truss will only keep it from bending more. it is already bent and will soon be going through bearings, seals, shafts, and who knows what else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode