Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   clutch? (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-standard-sfa-trucks-suvs/131216-clutch.html)

Drey 08-09-2002 12:27 PM

clutch?

i know its on a S-10 and not a FUllsize, but i just got the S-10 back from the shop, and the clutch pedal is really light, used to be alot heavyier, and i liked it that way. i can stand it this way, i killed it like 10 times in town today, do you guys know any adjustment to make to make it heavy, without yankin the tranny again? or am i stuck with it like this?

wrath 08-09-2002 01:56 PM

Re: clutch?

Did you just put a clutch in it? If so, they probably put a pansie clutch in it. IE: the wimpy $75 clutch that no one in their right mind would even put in a puddle-jumping Cavalier.

I had the clutch replaced in my Sonoma two winters ago because it was cold outside and I had no where to work. I had the half ton version and they still put the pansie clutch in it. It was so wimpy it'd slip with my 2.5L if I shifted hard in to second gear without completely dumping the clutch. I ended up smoking it in 3 weeks and they put a new one in for free (since they charged me 350 freaking dollars for a $75 clutch and 2 hour job I didn't feel guilty) due to their 1 month warranty. ****heads. I'll spare you my story about theft of certain items from my truck.

I think you're stuck with it unless you take it back and they put a real pressure plate in it. I remember when I got mine changed I just about killed the pedal. It used to be more difficult to press down than the brake pedal. After the clutch job it was easier to press down than the accelerator.

Drey 08-09-2002 02:36 PM

thats probly what they did, my GMC should be my daily driver in about 3 weeks anyway, so if the S-10 lasts that long ill be happy, i got charged 380 for it, my dad is gonna help a bit, since he used to pull big loads with it

wrath 08-09-2002 02:46 PM

Call 'em up and ask them.

CJDave 08-09-2002 03:42 PM

[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] One of the best-kept secrets of the FS pickups that use the 12" clutch is that if you DON'T cut three of the twelve springs out, you will end up breaking each and every piece of clutch linkage one by one, INCLUDING the pedal.....which will simply fall off on the floor.....AND, you'll have a hard time holding the pedal down at a stop sign.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I use the 12 Borg & Beck clutch and cut it to 75% beef, which is perfect. I can hang that pickup on a steep grade with 20,ooo lbs total weight and start it from a dead stop no problem.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] AND....don't forget THIS....if you have one heck of a stiff clutch, you will eventually FAIL THE CRANKSHAFT THRUST BEARING, and then the oil pressure will go by-by.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just thought I'd mention that, heh heh heh.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]