64 GMC 2WD inline 6 4 speed for $200 SHOULD I BUY? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

64 GMC 2WD inline 6 4 speed for $200 SHOULD I BUY?

My buddy is desperate for cash and is selling a 64 GMC. It has a little rust, but easily fixable. It is mostly on the front fenders on the bottom bolt...the flap in the wind. The paint is over ten years old, but holds it's age pretty well...it's all one color. It has a strong six, strong clutch and 4 speed tranny. For the most part it is in excellent shape for having never been restored. His Dad bought it years ago when it was five or ten years old and drove it the way an old man does until he gave it away 2 years ago. We did the temp HWY permit for the drive home from Montana and he never could chose to afford to license it. I figure tax, license, plates and tabs are going to run about $80. I'll be in it close to three hundred. Would the resale value of this thing be worth buying it??? I know it is a good truck, but I also know it is an old truck and since it hasn't been driven daily so unknown problems could develop. Is it worth the gamble??? Also, please note, this is a very low income area out here in Chattaroy, WA, which affects resale value considerably. ( Iput my rough body'd newly painted mag wheeled 32" tired 350 auto 4X4 Suburban up for sale at $1000 in the dead of winter, drove it to and from the 3' deep snow field where it was displayed for 3 weeks before I decided to give up- still own the dang thing!)

PS apic attached of the Suburban...it's still for sale!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 851911-Steve in Suburban 1 starting line.jpg (15.6 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 64 GMC 2WD inline 6 4 speed for $200 SHOULD I BUY?

Pick it up. Sounds like a nice enough old truck. Remember that in some parts of the country (like here in Michigan) that thing would be a pile of rust. Hence my signature. Buy it, drive it around some, fix the little stuff, and either keep it or put it in the Auto Trader (and/or clones) around Seattle. Market it somewhere else.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx for the go ahead... I drove it last night and it is in way better shape than I originally thought. I will be picking it up tonight. My boy decided to use it for transportation while he fixes his free Dodge 4x4 and then drive the Dodge (Mitsubishi) while he either fixes up the GMC or sells it. We live right on a very busy highway and everybody knows my house (I just have to say the big blue one) and it will be seen by about 45 cars per minute during busy times! If the selling price is fair it should turn over pretth fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 853408-Steve\'s new truck.jpg (39.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:47 PM
Mud in my Veins

Eh, don't think of it as "the go ahead", think of it as an enthusiastic YES! Like I said, you just can't find old trucks like that around here, especially not for that cheap. Have fun with it. Go check out the build up and 4x4 conversion of a '64 they are doing in 4-Wheel & Off-Road. Might give you some ideas.

If you do feel like selling it, try to get it in the Seattle area papers or something. I have a buddy living in Lynnwood who's always talking about all the older cars he sees. Sounds like a good market for selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode