Let's give Rick Pewe ideas for his 85 GMC 3/4 ton - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Let\'s give Rick Pewe ideas for his 85 GMC 3/4 ton

Rick Pewe, the editor for 4-Wheel & Off-Road has now gotten himself a 1985 GMC K25 with a 250/TH400(that leaks)/NP208/10 bolt/14SF. Yes, this is the Jeep guy who was the first editor of JP for a while and replaced Cole Quinnell last year. Has the thrashed Ford WWII Jeep with a 455 Buick among other things. In the editorial of the current September issue he states that he wants to build up "this multipurpose tow rig, commuter, junk hauler, and medium-duty four wheeler".

So lets give him some ideas. They've already put an Eaton E-Locker in it (remember the article a few months back?) so the rear is handled for traction adders. Since it has to be a daily driver in Los Angeles, junk hauler, tow rig, etc I think this eliminates super-high-flex-like-an-I-beam lifts, blown and bored out BBC's on nitrous, and huge Super Swamper Boggers. Sorry Willy's.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I think the idea is a general purpose, everyman's GM SFA truck.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

So far I'm thinking:
-fix the TH400 and add a tranny cooler (maybe a beefed TH400 or a 4L80E with stand alone computer, but is it worth it?)
-4" BDS front springs (flexes well and retains height, yet also retains load capacity of stock) with ORD shackles
-4" ORD rear shackle flip or do it yourself shackle flip (cut shackles and then gusset) to retain stock rear springs (stock ride and no extra expenses for springs)
-high quality shocks (personal favorites are Bilstein 5100's, but there are many more quality shocks out there, Rancho RS9000's, Deutch-Tech's, etc)
-since it more than likely already has 4.10's, trim the fenders slightly and run 35's or
-trim them a lot (maybe Bushwacker cut outs) with a 1" ORD body lift and run 36x12.5's, 37x13's, etc (taller tires means regearing to 4.56's or higher)
-TSM rear disk brakes (do it yourself, none of that custom ORU crap that costs thousands or other company's stuff that never seems to work right)
-some body armor, like All Pro Offroad's rock bars or something like the armor installed on the F250 Super Duty in the current edition
-Freshen up the 350 with an intake, long tube headers, Vortech heads, low-mid rpm cam, rebuild and tune the Quadrajet (we always need more tech articles on those, educate the masses), wide diameter, custom made exhaust with high flow cat (if it has emissions, gotta be legal) and muffler (no big shiney chrome tip please), ignition system with spark box, coil, rotor, wires (MSD, Crane, Accell, etc, please not Jacob's crap), and what else? Maybe drop on a GM TBI system? or
-383 built from scratch or a crate, maybe fuelie?
-In cage rollbar?
-Maybe beef the 10 bolt? (An E-Locker for it too, chromemoly axle shafts, Warn Premium Hubs, hub fuses, some of those new sooper dooper U joints, etc)
-High-Angle Drivelines monster shafts (or just proper length shafts so they aren't at the limits of the splines)
-Some beefy bumpers (some Trail Ready/ARB/TJM/Ranch Hand box bumpers or PreRunnerish tube bumpers) with integrated Class III rated hitch receivers for portable winch mounts (or just a big [censored] Warn M1200 or M15000 winch up front), D rings, increased clearance and angles, etc
-Rezzy Doors[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] for easy viewing of the trail.
-Do It Yourself bedliner for the bed, and maybe the bumpers, any tubing/armor, cab interior, rockers, entire body (why spend good money on a paint job that you're going to dink up on the trail when you can bedliner it for MUCH less and it won't rust or get dings, scratches, etc), whatever....
-ORD crossover steering to make the beast steer better than when it was new
-Custom mounted guages in the dash, ala Shaggy and BAD4WD
-Some of those removeable Firestone air bags for hauling and towing, then pull some pins and they come out for offroading.

Okay, I've covered engine, tranny, axles, brakes, diffs, suspension, tires, armor, bumpers, doors, uhhhhhhh....................what else?

His email address is:
[email protected]

I'm gonna think this through a bit more before I send it all in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: Let\'s give Rick Pewe ideas for his 85 GMC 3/4 ton

im thinkin a 502 RamJet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
somesort of bedliner too
some REZZY Doors. thats all i can think up
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Drey, 502's aren't known for gas mileage, which is one of the things considered in daily driving. Especially in Southern California where 87 octane is at or around $2.00 a gallon.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Not to mention in the rest of the editorial he says he likes how the GMC is simple, with no computer stuff to break on him. So the RamJet's fuel injection kinda disqualifies that. I only suggested the TBI conversion because it's relatively simple, TBI being basically a carb with fuel injectors and a basic computer instead of a butterfly valve.

Good idea on the Rezzy Doors and bedliner. I'll go add them to my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:47 PM

sorry i musta skimmed over the daily driver part. i thought of a few more, new guages, crossover steering, if he is going to use it for towing maybe those firestone air bag things. and INBOX fuel cell, maybe bob the bed. exhuast running through the bed with stacks. cowl induction hood. ok sorry im getting a little ricey now
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Common people, let's do this.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Like the steering. Show them the ORD stuff instead of the ORU stuff. Guages are good too. Yeah, the firestone removable air bags would be great for towing. Undo some pins and they come out for flexing.

I dunno about the inbox fuel cell or the stacks. In box fuel cell would kinda be in the way for "junk hauler" and stacks are just plain ugly, not to mention they too would be in the way. I've never liked cowl induction hoods because they don't do anything other than look good to some people and let mud, water, leaves, and other assorted crap land on top of your engine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:24 AM

rocker panel protectors, maybe dana 44 or 60
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 03:14 PM
TEX

Honestly, the problem with any such project is that it's been done to death. A DD 3/4 ton SFA carbed tow rig. Just not too much you can do to get "creative" with that & keep it practical.

TEX
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Eh, but it has potential. Look what's been done with daily drivers on CK5. Especially with them footing the bill. Oh well, no one cares.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:57 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>The problem is that they won't listen, they'll just slap on whatever parts the manufacturers give them that they want to promote.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:14 AM

Yeah, they will get a pair of 9 grand a piece "special" dynatrac dana 60's, and have ORU do 15 grand worth of work then throw a crate 454 in with EFI. Trust me[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. It's what they always do.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode