Ebrock Performer Carb Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Kendog454

Ebrock Performer Carb Help

I threw on an Edelbrock Performer cam, intake, and carb onto my otherwise stock 350. After it was all set up, I adjusted the valves, and I set timing at 8 degrees BTC. When I went out for a drive, I found that it was lacking badly on the low-end, and didnt begin pulling until about 1600 or so. But it otherwise runs like a dream; it fires right up and shuts right down without diesling or anything. I dont have headers, just the stock cast iron manifolds still, as my budget didnt allow for it. I think that it may not be breathing well, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any thoughts on what I could do in the meantime. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ebrock Performer Carb Help

Did you adjust your idle screws, start at 1 1/4 of a turn out. It sounds like a lean bog from idle, if it's good above 1600 then it's breathing well. What carb did you use, the 1406 or the 1405?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Kendog454

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:46 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Did you follow the whole tuning procedure in the manual, or did you buy the carb used? Edelbrock has the entire manual on their site if you don't have it. Follow the directions and it should run like a dream after you get everything set. Order the off-road needle and seat kit soon too, as soon as you get it off road in stock form you're going to be hating life.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 1406 carb is set fairly lean compared to the 1405. With that cam and intake combo it might be to lean on the cruise circuit. If you look in your carb's bible (the book that came with the carb) on the 1406 settings graph #18 is almost the same as #1(orginal setting) on the 1405. I wouldn't go straight to 18 but I would increase the the cruise mode. Also with that small of a cam you are going to make 18" of vacuum. The 1406 stays in cruise mode till 4" of vacuum, you may want to put the 8" vacuum springs in there so your carb changes to power mode sooner. read the book as many times as you can. I read it at least three times all the way thru.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:46 PM
Kendog454

Well, I think I fixed my problem. I adjusted the trim screws, and I retarted the timing from 8 degrees to about 2 and it runs like a dream. The only thing that irritates me is that when I throttle down in a gear there are little "poppy" backfires out of the mufflers. And every now and then it diesels for a revolution or two. Thanks guys
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's not the proper way of fixing your problem. Change the primary rods and jets to richen your crusie mode and replace the springs to 8" peices. Adjust the timing to 12 degress and be happy with a better tuned truck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Kendog454

Will that eliminate the popping noises on decelreation?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 07:31 PM

Hey kendog,

I just had the same problem with the exact same carb/intake. The popping is from the carb running too rich. I also had a pinging problem that was related to the timing. I messed with the timing and idle some, but eventually broke down and took it to a shop where they scoped it, diagnosed it and fixed it for $120. They adjusted the A/F mixture on the carb and got the timing dialed in just right.

My truck runs awesome and I feel it was worth the $$$ to get it running right after spending all that $$$ on new stuff. Good luck!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fixing it like I said would eliminate the popping noise. Like shewheeler said it is to rich with your timing set at 2 degrees. your spark plags ingite the fuel 2 degrees before tdc up until 1300 rpm if you have a stock advance cruve hei and with those heavy springs you will only get another 13 degrees (if I remember right correct me if I'm wrong please) out of them, so 2+13=15 total. You should have 36-38 degrees total at about 3000-3400 rpm. In essence you are not burning all the fuel in the combustion chamber. As you already know the engine has a bad hesitation at 8 degrees so you need to give it more fuel and more timing (put medium weight springs into the dist.) and I bet you can get another 20hp with this engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode