250-6 in a Blazer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

250-6 in a Blazer?

Anyone ever had or driven a Blazer with a 250-6? I bought a '76 Blazer without an engine and have access to a new 250. It is currently fulltime 4WD, new turbo 350, has 373 gears in Dana 44 and 12bolt axles and has 29x10.50 tires. I don't want to go to the trouble of exhaust and installing the engine only to find that it is a pig that won't go anywhere. My goal is to drive it as a daily driver with an occasional weekend of light bouncing around. Will I be able to cruise at highway speed without having my foot mashed to the floor all the time? What kind of mileage do you think I can expect out of it? Any advice or experiences you are willing to share would be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:30 PM

Re: 250-6 in a Blazer?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I think that you'd be happier if you held out for a 350. They're a dime a dozen and make a whole lot more power than a 250.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

They're torque engines. You won't go fast, you won't accelerate very fast, and honestly, you won't get very good gas mileage. On the trail or towing, they are great because the torque is always there and available down low.

For what you described, Sandman is right, get a 350. Parts are super cheap, they are a dime a dozen, much more power potential, speed parts are cheaper and much more common, and for the uses you describe, a 350 would be much more suitable for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently rebuilt and stuffed a 250-6 in my 86 3/4 pickup, for the sole point of proving to everyone that a 250 with the right gears will perform as well as a 350. Everyone laughed at me and said I'm wasting my time. Let me give you my impressions and time proven facts: 250's produce lots of low end power. They get ever so slightly better gas mileage than a 350, but not much. Parts for a 250 are equally as cheap as the 350, just not well known. Any NAPA store can get any part for the 250, just as cheap as the parts for a 350. I put an Edelbrock 500cfm carb on an Offy intake. It still needs a little timing work, but I think it'll be OK. If I were to do it again, I would stick with a 2-bbl intake and carb to get a little better mileage and a little better bottom end. CFM doesn't build power. I have a 4-speed and 4.10's. Overall, the 250 is simple, and easy to work on. It doesnt' have much room for accessories though. It's a good motor, and fun to work on, it's just different and not what everyone is used to working on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:13 AM

Ive got a 292 in my old 72 and its the greatest wheeling motor ive ever had, torquey as all-get-out, and itll idle over everything. and on ashphalt itll burn in second gear. stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode