Once Again Major Transfer Case Leakage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Once Again Major Transfer Case Leakage

ok the seal for the rear drive shaft is not leaking at all it seems to be leaking down the spline and out the driveshaft, what do i do to the driveshaft, jam pack it full of grease or whatelse, is there something in there that has to be replaced. its tthe 8-10 inch long piece of driveshaft ahead of the front u-joint. also is leaks in another spot where a gasket isnt holding, its up in an out of the way place, could i just put some silcone on it to stop it leaking? other then that no questions. further updates...will be painted next monday or tuesday, then finish all the "little Stuff". like rear brakes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Once Again Major Transfer Case Leakage

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>If the fluid is coming down the rear driveshaft then it has to be the seal that's leaking. They really aren't that difficult to replace, just get the yoke off and pull the seal, then press a new one into place. As for the out of the way place that's leaking, I doubt that silicone will seal it, it will just make a mess.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is a "soft plug" in the slider yoke that is leaking. You can take the yoke out and weld or braze the plug in place. That's the only way I know of to stop that problem. It isn't the grease seal, it's the yoke itself.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

do the plugs go bad? if so should i just get a new one, this is a 19 year old truck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My automatic transmission guy; who SHOWED ME this trick doesn't mess around with trying to coax the little pluggies to be good.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] He has found through experience that the best fix is a good welding job. END of problem.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My TH400 in our Suburban had a slip yoke that was leaking, and our NP205 transfer case had the same setup and IT LEAKED AS WELL.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] weld-weld-weld-weld-we......well, you get the idea.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks, my S-10 is going to the shop thursday, the one guy down there has a truck similar to mine, he'll know how to weld it...my weldind skills arent quite up to par havent welded since may, and that was a wire welder, i havent stick welded since decmeber
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 03:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Welding is like swimming and riding a bike.....you never fergit how. I was away from welding for EIGHT YEARS. When I opened the door to the storage room where my Millermatic was, there was this sort of metallic-sounding voice: "Dave? Is that you?" Out into the sunlight came the welder......strip the tinware off......dust it out real good.....replace some expendable items on the Tweco gun....new power cord that it always needed anyway, and I was OFF TO THE RACES! It was like I had never quit welding.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode