Can I port n' polish heads myself? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Can I port n\' polish heads myself?

Ive got a set of 461 doublehumps I wanna port out a bit, should i bother doing it myself, ive got a set of 201 heads from a 305 i think ill practice on first,. If nothing else i want to at least smooth the casting irregularities out of the runners. J&A want quite a bit on top of putting the 2.02's in and rebuild to port out, like 1300 total, but only 800 without porting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can I port n\' polish heads myself?

I take it that 800 is total rebuild price, not just for head parts and valve job? You can do some port matching yourself and the Standard Abrasives kits are great for this. Do you have a die grinder and a regulator to turn down the psi? Better have a steady hand too! Best you need to do (other than research a lot on how to port) is gasket match intake, heads and exhaust without having a lip in the way of the airflow. Leave the intake side a hair smaller than toward the exhaust. Polish everything there is inside the exhaust ports, even the manifolds if you arent running headers. Get a good three angle valve job after you blend the bowls and don't hog out the runners, just smooth em out. I think the S.A. kit comes with some suggestions on porting techiques (we need a spell checker on this bbs!) and recommends to pay close attention to the short side radius and so on. This will take a lot of time if you do it right, but will pay off too. Good luck.
Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

800 is for stripping them, supplying valves , springs, retainers, screw in studs and guide plates,installing new guides and that is also in Canadian dollars, so really its about 550 US,which doesnt sound really bad . I know I could Get replacement heads for that in the states, But everything(speed parts) is friggen expensive up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the kind of money you are talking, I would go with some aftermarket, or even late model chevy heads. Cast iron is my preference, I run the s/r torquers by World and am happy with them. I think I paid around 800 a few years back with Stainless valves and good parts. I polished the exhaust side and mild ported them and really like em. There are supposed to be better heads for similar prices now, but I haven't checked into them lately. Might check all your alternatives before rebuilding old heads for that much money. Surely it doesn't cost that much to have em shipped to ya?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:58 AM
ratlover

ditto....I would actually go with the dart iron egals or the world sportsmans....the sr's stand for stock replacement....they were made for the carb # or what ever....they dont flow as well as other heads.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

true the s/r stands for stock replacement...but...the torquer is a head in between the standard stock replacement and the sportsman. For most, the sportsman flows too much (larger runners) and loses a bit at the bottom end. I am not sure about you, but I don't usually turn 6 grand on my tach. The torquers are good through around 5500 or so and have large stainless valves (2.02) in them. A nice head and not a bad price. I am not familiar with the iron eagles, but they might be better for wheelin and street driving than the sportsmans.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Well to be truthfull, its usually almost 1 3/4 times the american price to get stuff here with cnadian dollars, so you 800 dollar heads are about 1500, hell, edelbrock performers go for 2300 a pair here, a performer intake is 200 bucks, a pair of trailmaster 4 inch springs for a chev is 500 bucks, and the reqired steering arm is 170. considering a canadian dollar is hovering around 63 cents US, you can see what im talking about. So if I get fully hogged out heads with good castings and 2.02's for 1300 thats still a deal. I thought about the S/R torquers, but I want heads that will handle the horse power as my engine grows. and sportsmans are way to expensive.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 02:35 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Why not just drive to the U.S.? Unless you live in the north end of Nova Scotia you should be able to make the trek. I know if I lived within a couple hours it'd be worth the drive.

/begin jeering canadians/
The loonies, toonies, and moonies are all the way up to 63 cents on the dollar? The last time I looked it was in the low 62s. I guess that's what you get for making money that doesn't even look as real as Monopoly money and importing marijuana to the US. I've got a really neat website that was sent to me about canadians..
/end brutal harassment/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

/SMACK/ Take that wrath![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Im not quite in northern Nova Scotia, getting close though, It takes a full day to get to Kittery trading post. Then I still need to convert money to american Dollars, and the cost of my gas and lodging,it aint worth it. I still get some little crap from summit though, they usually have half decent deals.And If I can I will purchase from ORD. But i aint spending hella lot by traveling to the USofA for heads.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

http://www.negativepositive.org/[censored]-canada.html

the censored part is the four letter acronym for "for unlawful carnal knowledge".

It takes me 8 hours to go from here to my parents' place (505 miles). I'd hate to drive any further than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode