454 Build Up Ideas? What would you do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

454 Build Up Ideas? What would you do?

Updated, look at my post farther down....

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:25 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 454 Build Up Ideas? What would you do?

I say do a budget rebuild and don't spend money on anything you aren't going to put on the 502. Why waste money on go fast parts for the 454 if you're going to replace the whole thing?

Unless you have something else in mind to use the eventually displaced 454 for?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 06:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Leave it alone. Don't spend time or money on a 454, they aren't worth it. I wish I HAD the dough I've dumped into those rats trying to make an engine out of them. If I had it to do over and I wanted a 450+ cubic inch engine, I'd get a 455 Olds. A LOT better engine and there's tons of them around. The tranny is the TH400 so it will work in a GM vehicle using the pickup tailend. Heck, why not use a 500 Inch CADDY. or even a 472 Cad.......as long as you're doing it.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I would take a good-running SB 350 any day over a 454. I have never thought that I was getting the real benefit of those extra 104 cubes. All they do is give you a much closer relationship with the chick that is the cashier over at Gas-N-Go [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

man you don't need splayed 4 bolt caps. Bore if you have to. Put flat top pistons with cast rings not molly. Buy a Performer intake and either a preformer CAM or Extreme 4x4. Add that to a set of 2" max dia headers and you will be set. Remember going with too much of that RPM stuff will lower your bottom end touque.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm keeping the 454 so there[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. In case you haven't noticed, I drive a 1 ton 7000 pound 454 powered truck on 39.50's, I don't care about gas mileage[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

What kind of power and torque does the 2 bolt mains handle? And yeah, I know about the rpm stuff, I may go with a performer manifold, I eventually will go efi on it so it's just temporary, as well as the heads. I eventually will go to world products steel heads.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

rering it, slap in some new bearings, and stick a blower on it.

it ain't cheap to build up a bigblock in comparison to a smallblock. it makes a blower look like chump change.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:42 AM
TEX

Well, since it's a temp engine anyway, keep the heads & shortblock stock. RPM manifold isn't what you need unless you also want the RPM cam & the 1,100 RPM idle that goes with it (this is the cam & intake I have with my 408" SBC). If you go any hotter than stock, go with Performer cam & intake. Still good lowend, but you'll make about 350HP. Not too shabby.

TEX
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Argh, ok, since most of you fail to notice the last paragraph of my post, then I will re-ask the whole thing:

I am going to keep it now! The plan is a good bottom end that will include a forged crank and forged pistons. I will keep stock heads for now and put a performer intake on it as well as a truck avenger or similar carb. Later on, when I have more cash, I will get some World steel heads on it as well as EFI. More than likely a AZ Speed & Marine TPI unit. The plan right now is to build a stout bottom end that will handle anything I throw at it in the future including a blower possibly someday, but not for a while. And no, a performer RPM intake does not cause 1100 rpm idle, doesn't even cause a rough idle, thats the cam. And the cam I am chosing is a Xtreme 4x4 which is built for low end torque. Anyway, I just wanted to make everyone notice that I AM NOW KEEPING IT AND NOT SELLING IT!!![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 12:32 PM
TEX

"And no, a performer RPM intake does not cause 1100 rpm idle, doesn't even cause a rough idle, thats the cam. And the cam I am chosing is a Xtreme 4x4 which is built for low end torque."

Yeah, I know it's the cam that causes it. But, what you're trying to do is mix & match cams and intakes that don't work well together. What I'm saying is get a low-rpm cam and then an intake that MATCHES it.

TEX
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ah, now I see what you are saying and you are exactly correct. I thought about that last night and thats why I changed over to the Performer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode