Lift? What will i need - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Lift? What will i need

I get paid tonight and tmw im gonna order my Lift
So Far i have a 2inch ROugh Country, Full Spring Lift, and 4 Heckthorn Shocks, the shocks have 10 different settings on them im sure. I need to know, will i have to get longer brake lines or any steering stuff. Im sure i wont have to lengthen my Drive Shafts at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: Lift? What will i need

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>You're getting a 2 inch lift? What's the point? I guess if the stock springs are worn out... You shouldn't need longer brake lines for that, just put the springs on and go, everything should be fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:18 PM

Why not go with a 4" TC lift? It's $295 for the front, $60 for a raised steering arm, and $330 for rear springs or better yet $185 for a 4" shackle flip. Then all you need is shocks. Not sure if you need longer brake lines for a 4" though.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yea 2" lift what is the point? Your going to wish you would have gone more. I started with a 2" add-a-leaf then a 4" (springs upfront and blocks in the rear) on my 80. I never extended the brake lines. I don't even think I replaced the shocks when I did the 2" lift.

Laters, Ryan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

his idea is to go 6" lift later on then with the 2" rear springs and a shakle flip out back have 6" total.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 03:00 PM

Aw, I now see the light.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 06:30 PM

With a 2" lift everything should be fine on-road, but I found that my front lines were way to short off-road.

When I put another 14 bolt in my truck last year and had the springs picked up a bit, I found it necassary to relocate where the e-brake cable is mounted at the frame, and extend the rear brake lines too.

I'm wishing I got bigger springs made when I did, but I didn't want to deal with steering arms and whatnot back then. Now I woulda got 3-4" packs.

Keep in mind that your springs will settle down quite a bit after you drive for a while. I needed to drop the centersupport bearing to correct a nasty driveline angle after I put the new springs in, but looking at it now after driving it for a while, I don't think its necassary now, and the e-brake cables might be good now too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 846774-new rear end springs and shocks installed net.jpg (83.7 KB, 7 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

damnit, my dad told me we are gonna get it painted first, and ya MNorby is right. but it is gonna have to get aligned and the shop that does that does brakes and stuff too, ill get long front, and i need to get my E-brake HOOKED UP, its not at all right now [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] and i have to back brakes as of this point so i might just get longer lines anyway
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:30 AM

Mine had the 2" lift all ready done to it when I got it but the brake lines seem to be factory. I may not have the brake line problem because the front bump stops where lowered. They do limit the flex of the front by a good bit along with the sway bar. I am thinking about removing the pieces that lower the bump stops because you can see they make contact quite a bit. The back brake line is fine to but my e-brakes dont work either because the bar on the one side got bent alond with the spring, on the other the cable that goes from the frame to the the backing plate got messed up. I dont know how the line got messed up since it was done before I got the truck. I have Trailmaster SSV 4" lift shocks on mine because I bought them when I first got the truck and didnt know much about it. Though I think that it may be a good thing since they dont limit the travel any. I wish that the lift was bigger but it was there so I cant really complain. As for Drey using it as a steping stone to a 6" lift it sounds like a reasonable idea. I personaly would just save up and do it all in one shot and save money in the long run of not having to do it twice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode