Proper way to tighten front axel nuts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Proper way to tighten front axel nuts?

Okay, I changed out my uppper/lower ball joints this weekend and I have a question properly tighting the axel nut/locknut.

Here's how I did it:

1) After repacking both bearings (inner/outer) and changing the seals, tighten the inner nut (closest to the bearings) to 50ft/lbs.
2) Back the nut out not more than 3/8 turn
3) Place the lock washer on the spindle making sure pin goes in one of the holes.
4) Place the outer nut (farthest from the bearing) on the spindle and tighten to 190-210ft/lbs.

This is basically how one the manuals I looked at said to do it. Does that sound right you guys? Also, my torque wrench only goes up to 150ft/lbs so I tightend to that and then took a breaker bar and basically stood on it.

Other then that question, the install of the ball joints went real smooth. You will not believe the steering quality since. It actuall goes were I want it to, not the other way around! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Proper way to tighten front axel nuts?

I tighten the first nut as tight as I can go then back it off till it is hand tight then snug it up then get so the lock washer with the holes will fit. It's basically a tighten by feel thing that was taught to me to know how toight to tighten
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I heard that the reason to tighten the first one and then back off it to make sure the bearing is set properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 04:26 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>That's correct, but make sure that you are spinning the wheel as you tighten that first nut. That way the bearing gets seated nice and straight. I go by feel too, tighten until no play, then about 1/16 of a turn or so more than that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:24 PM

I second Shaggy's method. Tighten her in while turning the wheel forward until the wheel doesn't spin anymore, then back it off until you have zero lash at 6 &amp; 12, then tighten her in about 1/4 turn more. Crank the outernut as hard as you can basically, most of those hub sockets will slip off before you get any serious torque on em.

I believe a rule of thumb is you want new bearings a little tighter, and old ones a little looser.. someone confirm this for me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:33 PM

<font color=green>I'll confirm that. My 1/16th of a turn is more for old bearings, your 1/4 is more for new ones.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the replys. I did not know about turning the wheel while tightening, but I did spend a bit of time probing with my fingers (ok, that just does NOT sound right! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] to make sure the bearing was seated right. I seems to be driving ok (no howling, no shaking, and the hubs feel nice and cool after driving 10mi @ 60mph.

Should I take it all apart and re-tighten everything?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 09:46 PM

<font color=green>It will probably be fine, but I'd suggest jacking it up and giving the tires a wiggle to make sure there is not play, and give them a spin to make sure that they spin nice and free. Too tight and you'll burn up the bearings, too loose and you'll plain destroy them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode