bead locks, questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bead locks, questions

two questions,
are beadlocks street legal? i belive there not whatever the reason is.

how many cops actually know what beadlocks are? (not to be a dick about it) or actually care if you run them on the street.

and how beadlocked 16.5s compare to 16 or 15 inch rims that are not beadlocked, meaning loosing the bead (inside or outside one)

(2 or 3 questions whats the difference)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: bead locks, questions

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>All the ads say that they are not legal on the street, but as of yet nobody has been able to produce a law, federal or from any state, that says that beadlocks are illegal. I believe there is even an offer for cash up right now from a dude on POR for anyone that can produce a ticket for beadlock, the cash being meant to help fight the ticket and to find out what the code section is that outlaws them.

Most cops do not know what they are, and will be having a harder time picking them out as the fake beadlocks proliferate. I've heard of 2 people getting tickets for them in CA, they were both fix it tickets, which means you put on regular wheels, get the ticket signed by a cop, send the ticket in with $10, then put the beadlocks back on[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Beadlocked 16.5s are nice, but the inner bead is still susceptibale to coming off the rim. The best 16.5" beadlocks are Hummer wheels because they lock both beads. If you want regular beadlocks in 16.5 you can run a bead of weld inside the inner lip of the wheel to act like a safety bead, just like on 15 and 16s.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

don't like the hammer rims since they have the runflat thing, heard you can bottom out on 38 if you air down, and i don't know much about them besides that.

could i beadlock the inside too? im guessing not, since no one is doing that, anyone know why?

from what you told me cops wont be an issue around here then, i like the weld inside the rim idea. probaboly will go that route, i would like 16" rims but the selection blows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:30 PM

<font color=green>OK, with the Hummer rims you can have the beadlock/runflat thing machined so as to leave only the inner beadlock part, the raised runflat section gets machined off. They are the only rims that can lock the inner bead, standard beadlocks can't be used on the inside because the brakes are in the way.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If they're genuine beadlocks they are stronger and safer than regular wheels. However, most aren't. Most are the ****ty kind that have like six 3/8" bolts holding the rings on. Find a stadium truck and take a look at them. That's what you want.

You can always do "mexican" beadlocks which is when you drill holes in the rim and screw into the bead with wood screws. People have been doing this as long as tires have been made of rubber. Especially those 16.5" nightmares.

I periodically run beadlocks on my ATV. I don't think it's needed on a truck unless you run under 10lbs all the time or spend a lot of time sideloading the tire at low pressure (15lbs or less).

Don't use 16.5" wheels unless it's a PLQ. They're as backwards as a two-piece wheel.

I've never seen someone use 16.5" beadlocked wheels so I can't compare. However, I noticed that bias-ply tires come off the bead more on the inside than a radial. As far as radials on 16" or 15" wheels they come off pretty often on the outside. The only beadlocked 15 or 16 I've seen lose a bead didn't matter because the tire was ruined.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:23 AM

<font color=green>Yeah, if you want beadlocks I can tell you which ones to look at and which ones to avoid. I've done A LOT of research on them since I will be running them on my truck. Good ones, starting with the good ones, good in my opinion being reliability and strength - Rockstomper, Trail Ready (Avalanche's are basically the same), MRT, Champion, Allied (and Allied relabled ones, like High Impact) are all ones that I would consider. I am going with Rockstompers for a variety of reasons that I'll share if you want. Bad ones - Stocktons are awful, never heard of anyone having good luck with them; Eatons I've heard good and bad, but they don't have many bolts so I'd be wary of them.

Screws in the trie are not a good idea for offroad, that is more of a drag racing thing, designed to keep the tire from slipping on the rim rather than keep it from popping a bead.

I agree with wrath about the fact that beadlocks aren't for everyone. I want them so I can run 4-5lbs of pressure at Pismo. Right now I run 9lbs and even that is iffy without locks.

Beadlocks are not a "install and forget" product. You MUST check the bolts on them very often, most manufacturers recommend at least once every couple hundred miles, if not even more often than that. They are a pain to mount and dismount, difficult to center on the rim, impossible to balance with normal methods, and in general a pain in the butt to deal with. But very worth it off road in my opinion.

If you just want the beadlock look you're much better off getting the fake ones. Lame in my opinion, but if you aren't going to make the most of the advantages that the locks give you, they just aren't worth the trouble.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

The newer runflat/beadlocks on the Hummers are made of rubber and can have the runflat part cut off pretty easily. Ther a re two versions of the rubber ones: One piece(new) and two piece. I think the one piece would be the best. It would be easier to install. I hate the runflat portion of the rubber ones. It takes 3-4 people and one hell of a ratchet strap, two large tanker bars(4 foot pry bars), one small tanker bar(3 foot) and a lot of pain to get one installed. Cut off the runflat though and it would be a sinch. I am thinking of runnoing these on the Isuzu when i eventually get the 60/14 under it. The large amount of backspacing will make up for the width of the axles on the little truck, and I can run 42X15.50's on them with a beadlock. If you do get Hummer wheels make sure they have the 12 bolt outer ring as oposed to the 8 bolt rim. They are much stronger. Also, the 8 bolt style crush the outer rim when you clamp them together causing it to bend and eventually leak.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmm... never thought of the balancing part shaggy mantioned.

and no shaggy im not into ricing my truck, its all go and while at it show, but only while at it.

i guess it'll be 16.5s with the weld inside of them or 15" with beach balls, 15" will fit on a D60 if the offset is big enough right? ill be running wide tires so ill need the offset anyways.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:07 PM

<font color=green>15s will fit with grinding on the calipers, depending on backspacing. With 2.5" of backspace grinding is very minimal, 3-3.5 is a good range to be in, anything over that requires lots of grinding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode