Lift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift?

Hey, well I just got my first 4x4 3 days ago. A 84 JIMMY k5. I was wondering how much it is going to cost to get a "4" lift kit and the installation fee. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:07 PM

Re: Lift?

Take a look in the magazines for the prices and do it yourself if you can; installation will probably be a day charged at whatever the local shop rate is.

Cheap lift w/ shocks is gonna be about $300USD or so with blocks, and $500USD or so with rear springs.

Say 60 bucks an hour shop rate, 8 hours, $300 lift, taxes, *unforeseen* problems; I'd imagine youd be lucky to come out with the whole deal coming in under a grand.

Read around, there are cheaper and better ways to lift your truck than buying full meal-deal kits, and if you install them yourself you'll have cash for the other mods you are going to want to make.

Installing a lift on your truck is no where as difficult as you might think. I got no idea how much work you've done on trucks in the past, but lifting a solid axle rig like yours is a straight forward process.

What do you plan on doing with this blazer? Do you intend on playing with it at all?? Daily driver??

Whatever you do I strongly recommend reading the posts here and at www.coloradok5.com before you make any decisions about what lift to buy.

Happy travels with the new GM!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifts are not hard to install at all with some mechanical knowledge. The 4" won't require you to extend driveshafts, brakelines, or drop the transfer case. However if you do want to take this rig off road I would suggest a 6" suspension lift. It will cost you a little more money but once you wheel it and start looking at trucks bigger than yours, you will want more. I installed a 6" trailmaster lift on my 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 in my driveway. I had no help what so ever and it took me about 6 hours. I'd never done a lift before. It would be good to have a buddy there to hold the axles once you drop them or put them back into place. You just have to follow the directions and make sure you lube up all the nuts and bolts the night before the installation. I've got a 6" lift and 35's now and I want more. It's only been a couple months but I'm hoping my tires wear out soon so I can upgrade to some 38" swampers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got my 4" tough country for $230 but that was JUST front springs, rear blocks, brake line braket drops, and bushings. I already had a steering arm ($60) and long enough shocks. I kinda wish I did the 6" for my future plans but the 4" is plety enough for 35" tires. I'm gonna build my own shakle flip for the rear wich will be 4" lift and remove the blocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode