Can you tell me about this veihicle????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Can you tell me about this veihicle?????

I am not usually on this board cause I dont know a thing about Chevey or GM products. I do however have a chance to buy what I seem to think is a good deal. I am able to buy a 1980 k5 blazer convertable for about a $1000.00. My questions lie, what type of tranny does it have and is it good, what type of t-case does it have and is it good, are the axles decent, I know it has a 350 in it. the car has had some cheap body work done on it and it still needs some Tlc. What does this board think. I keep hearing from the guy at the gargage it runs real good and it starts up right away. When I went to see it the battary was dead. What do you guys think is this a deal or a bust. If there is more you would like to know about it just ask cause like a said I KNOW NOTHING about this Truck. Thanks in advance. TOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:31 PM

Re: Can you tell me about this veihicle?????

well its it a 1/2 or 3/4 ton
i think if its a 1/2 it should have a pair of 10 bolts or, a dana 44 front 12 bolt rear.
3/4 ton, same front and 14ff rear
automatic tranny would be a 350, or 400 no overdrive in either,, the manual is a 465 i think not sure
transfer case, would be a 203 or 208
203 is a fulltime chain
208 is a part time chain,
it is very likly im wrong on alot of this stuff, my knowledge isnt all that good from 73-80, cuz after 80 it was pretty much all the same, one of the other guys will prolly correct me, but this at least shows you what you could have
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

probably 350 with a TH350 and a NP203 with a D44 fron and a 12 bolt rear.
Somewherre in that time perios they started putting in 10 bolt front and rear axles but not sure exaclty when. Also about the time the started putting 305 with 700R4 with 208 T-cases. For $1000 if it runs good I would try to buy it personally. Might ask around on the coloradok5.com BBS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:58 PM

700R4 started in 82 with 6.2 litre deisels if im correct, then in 83 they were a option.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/history.htm

here a GM truck history page, but nothin about axles or transfer cases i think, or K5s, just P/Us
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if its a k5, it will have either a turbo 350, turbo 400, maybe 700r4? if its a stick it will be a sm465 for a 4 speed; tcases will be either np 203, 205, or 208. I would guess 700R4 and 203 tcase, but im not sure.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I wana say you are correct about the 700r4 and the 203. I really need some help here cause I dont know stinken thing about these trucks. Are all of these components good and are the parts easy to find. NOW mind you I am use to working on Suzuki Samurai's and they are cheap and avalible. SO what am I facing here. I really don't have plans of wheeling it but I know I want to tow with it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:33 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Wow, lots of conflicting info here. This is what it will have -

Manual tranny - SM465, this is a granny 4 speed, essentially a 3 speed with a super low first gear making up the 4th. One of the strongest manuals ever made for light trucks.

Auto would likely be a TH350.

T-case is a 205 if it is original, 1980 Chevys and GMCs all had the 205, whether it had a manual or auto tranny.

Axles are likely 10 bolts although there were a FEW 80s that escaped with D44 front and/or 12 bolt rear.

There is no such thing as a 3/4 ton Blazer.

Sounds like a deal for $1000 even if it does need a little work. So long as the body isn't falling off the frame it's worth it. If it has the TH350 tranny then it's an even better deal since the TH350/NP205 combo is rare and highly desirable. You could get some good money for it if you were to part it out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:36 PM

The np205 should be the slip-yoke version unfortunately.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Shaggy you are making me real interested in it now. Thanks guys for the info. I am going to go look at it again tomorrow. Keep the info coming. TOM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:53 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Indeed it would, but that's better than a slip yoke 203 or 208![img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tom, you already have a spotters guide for all the bits so you can figure out what it has? I have some links that might help if you don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode