Join Date: Mar 2001
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine timing problems - help!
Ok, here's the problem I have.
Since I put the motor in I haven't been able to get a timing light so it has sat where I initally set it by ear 3-4 weeks ago.
Now I finally get a light and tach and I set the idle speed via the throttle set screw, and go to set the timing and I get about 20+deg advance. When I bring it down to eight it bogs out real bad and idles way down.
The q-jet on the motor (rebuilt targetmaster) is from my old motor(78 LS9) and was new 3 years ago.
I asked at few buddies at work and they suggested it might be the idle mixture (as did the sandman) and they said I should set it like this..
1. Fully warm motor up and make sure choke is fully disengaged.
2. Check vacuum (can I do this off the PVC vacuum port off the carb??) and see if it is good or not.
3. He suspects my idle screws are turned to far out so his recomendation was to turn the mixture screws all the way in, then 1.5 turns out each.
4. Carefully back out the mixture screws until the vacuum is where it should be.
5. Set idle speed with throttle screw
6. Check timing and see if that works.
Does this sound good??
Should I drop the timing back to 8 degrees first before I do this, or leave it at 20 where it runs half decent?
Any help is appreciated.