here ya go Willys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here ya go Willys

I remember you talking about Ford Dana 60 fronts from the '79 era, here is one on eBay.
<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1844457746>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1844457746</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 04:41 PM

Re: here ya go Willys

Yeah, theres quite a few on there right now, and I have no money[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Oh well, someday I will have all the ones left in the world and sell them for 10 grand a piece[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya, just saw another for almost $1000. I wanna chevy D60 though.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 09:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tell me what revers rotation means, actualy thats not even what its suposed to be called.

I dotn want no wrong answers either, if you know dont say nothn
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:55 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>A reverse rotation axle is synonymous with a high pinion axle. They are called high pinions because the pinion enters the diff ablve the centerline of the axletubes. They are called reverse rotation because the pinion drives the ring gear in the opposite direction of a standard rotation axle.

The teeth on a ring gear have two sides, the coast side, which is the concave side of the tooth that has a strong slope to it, and the drive side, which is almost straight up and down and is convex. A standard rotation axle in the rear of the truck puts stress on the drive side of the gear, that is when the pinion turns and drives the ring gear when the truck is moving forward, it is pushing on the drive side, which is the best way to load the gear because that's the way the gear is designed to take load. A standard rotation axle in the front of a truck drives the coast side of the gear, which isn't nearly as strong a way to drive the gear, because it really wasn't designed to be loaded that way.

A reverse rotation axle in the front drives the correct side of the gear, so it's a stronger way to load the gear. A happy coincidence with this design is that the pinion is nice and high. Jeepers often use high pinion diffs in the rear, but it's for driveline issues, not to gain the true benefit of the reversed design.

That was a lot more info than you asked for, but I'm feeling wordy tonight...[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 11:51 PM
tjayandlisa

damn good explanation...Best thing to ever go into a ford...(well besides the heated tailgate...You know to keep your hands warm while pushing....)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

heck I need heated tailgate on my chevy duering the winter, or a heated shovel

looks like theres more to it than what I thought

reverseCut vs. Standard Cut

Perhaps the single most misunderstood axle term is reverse cut, often mistakenly referred to as reverse rotation. A reverse cut housing is not a standard cut housing turned upside down, it is a specially designed housing. The term "reverse cut" refers to the direction of the spiral cut in the ring gear, which is opposite that of a standard cut ring gear: Contrary to popular belief, it does not run backwards or in reverse. The principle behind a reverse cut is to strengthen the operation of the gear when it is used for a front driving axle application.

off the dynatrac site
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 04:39 PM

<font color=green>OK, so according to Dynatrac that phrase is wrong. However it is commonly used so I think it's valid. It's pretty flippin obvious that the thing can't rotate in the reverse direction, if it did then the wheels would turn the wrong way. I used that phrase because you used it, generally I use the phrase reverse cut but I''ve always considered the two phrases as To-MAY-to and To-MAH-to. I just used the phrase that you used in the question to answer the question. I think people call them reverse rotation because the ring gear is basicallly cut backwards than normal. Backwards=Reverse in the minds of most people, so I say it's a valid statement. Just because Dynatrac says so doesn't make it invalid, might be a bit of a misnomer, but so what.

That description from Dynatrac is essentially useless for telling people WHY a reverse CUT axle is stronger in the front.

Thanks for the blurb from Dynatrac, I think. I hope you didn't ask that question just so you could correct someone when they posted the wrong answer, which is kind of what is seems like. I spent quite a bit of time writing that response so it could be easily understood, and I didn't do it just so you could tear into it. For the record, the only thing in my post that is incorrect, (according to Dynatrac, but I still say it's valid) is the fact that I used the phrase reverse rotation interchangibly with reverse cut.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

"reverse rotation" bothers me as much as "front rear end"... it is just confusing as hell and there's no reason to call them something crazy... it's a FRONT AXLE and it's a REVERSE CUT design [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 10:33 PM

<font color=green>Fair enough, I just don't think that it's a big of a deal, at least not a big enough deal to correct somebody when they call it that. Like I said, I usually call them reverse cut also. "Front rear end" is a funny one, but I just laugh and make a mental note that the person that said it doesn't have a dang clue about cars, if someone says reverse rotation and knows what is meant by it (even if it is a misnomer) then it doesn't make them any less of a gearhead, people call car parts by strange names all the time. It's not like they're saying that 4 low is called 4x4x4...[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode