Ok heres the deal... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok heres the deal...

Back of the truck needs to go up 2". When looking at the Skyjacker packs under the rear, they are flatter than my stock packs. Since the skyjackers have the truck weight on them and the stocks are on the ground. But anyway, can I take the 1" thick overload out of the origional pack and put it in the skyjacker pack as well as a few leeves? This will give me some more load capacity and the pack will be thicker meaning more lift to level the truck out. Whatcha think? Also, can I cut leaf springs down in length? Since the leaves are the same length in the skyjacker pack as the stock pack, can I cut some of the stocks about 4" shorter so they fit between the leafs on the skyjacker pack?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 02:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Ok heres the deal...

It sounds pretty feasable to me. Even cutting the springds down sounds ok. just make sure the clamps can hold them all or get ones that can.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm going to have to get some diff. clamps since theres no room under the one there now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Are these 1/2 ton packs or something? I know Skyjackers are famous for sagging, but usually it's an EVENTUAL thing, not right away.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Make sure you don't heat up the leaves to much, because then you are changing the metal. Bad ride and brittle.

To many leafs and this thing will be riding like a cement truck. Each of those packs has a specific weight rating and is designed for that. Adding parts of them together won't be like a National, Deaver, or Alcan made pack with many, many leaves, it'll basically be you adding a whole lot more load capacity to the springs. A few leaves may not hurt, but don't go nuts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Well duh, I'm not trying to open "Big Willys Spring Shop" or anything[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I just want to add 1 leaf and the overload. And it road like a cement truck before so I don't care about ride. But I do want alot higher load carrying capacity.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:31 PM
tjayandlisa

The bottom leaf ok..Wouldnt add any more than that,as already stated will be way to stiff, especially in a truck with weight not always in the bed...Just add a two inch block...I know blocks ohhhhh so bad, two inchs wont hurt...much better ride than adding all these leafs, when in a sense thats all your useing the extra leafs for is blocks anyway...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Theres a big difference between a block and a leaf. The block increases axle wrap and is not bolted to the leaf pack. It's just held in by the u-bolt pressure. And as stated, I like stiff, stiff is good. Stiff means I can load the back more without it sagging too bad. If I wanted a Cadillac ride, I would have bought one, not a 1 ton truck.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 03:54 PM
tjayandlisa

Every way has its advantages...You are altering the way your spring will flex in every way...You will add extra load capacity..yes...but lose flex also...You said you were putting bags on there? that should take care of the extra weight issues...if your so afraid of the ubolt issue with 2" blocks, buy the 2" weld on perches that you can even reposition your axle if needed...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Lol, thats the same as a 2" block as far as wrap goes. Anyway, I'm putting bags on yes, but thats a long ways away. I have no money.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2002, 05:37 PM

I put my stock overload on the bottom of my spring pack a while ago to lift it up, and it worked great...rode real bad, except when pulling a trailer and then it rode awesome. I ended up flipping it upside down to keep some of the height and get a better ride...I'd do that, and maybe add another leaf in there. With the overload on right side up, I got aobut an inch. With it upside down it was maybe 1/2"...however tall the overload was I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode