I can't believe the gears people run with V8s... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I can\'t believe the gears people run with V8s...

most Toyota's stock have 4cylinders 4.10s and 31" tires max

Many Jeeps with I6s run 4.10s with 33s max

FS trucks run stock V8s, 4.10s and can easily turn 44s in the mud or on grass!

When I get my truck going, it will (for now) have 3.73s, what could I turn, hopefully 35-40s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: I can\'t believe the gears people run with V8s...

I wouldn't go much taller than a 33" tire with a 3.73 gear. Beyond that and the engine would be screaming trying to get to highway speeds. The reason they put super low gears in little 4x4's is to help them get moving with their smaller engines.

Example: my Tracker has 5.12 gears to help the 80hp & 95ft/lb 1.6L I4 move it, thing takes off like a rocket but at 85 it's like it hits a moving wall.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If you see someone running 4.10's in their fullsize V8 powered truck on 44's, that probably means they have an absolute screamer of a high rpm engine, a lot of money for gas or they don't drive it much, it's an offroad only play toy, they haven't spent the money on gears or just plain don't know about it, or don't want to bother with swapping the gears out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

but mr. tranny is still squished in between that torque and those tires and he will NOT be very happy about having to rotate 44" tires with only 4.1 gears. trucks are geared precisely from the factory to take advantage of the torque curve of the engine, and changing tire diameter without changing gears hurts overall performance. yes a v8 can still rotate 44's with 4.1 gears but getting the truck going will put more strain on the engine and tranny because of loss of mechanical advantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:53 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I ran 38s with 4.10s and it was on the ragged edge of being usable. It wasn't bad enough to bother changing, but 3.73s would have been.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have 4.10's and 38"s and it lugs quite a bit on the low end. I would be a lot better off with 4.88's. Keep in mind the 4.10's are the stock ratio and they were made to turn 285/75/16's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

4.10s with 44s on the ends of it? It'd nearly be a gutless wonder.

3.73s or 4.10s would be ideal for 33-35" tires.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Thats the weird thing though, this truck I am looking at, with the Propane 366 BBC out of a bus, was climbing over dirtbike tabletops sideways in 2wd! (front Diff welded and left axle broke, so we unlocked the hubs to be able to steer) Maybe its in 4lo or something, but I know for a fact that this truck rips the way its set up. for surely I will someday get lower gears but for now I hope it will get buy even if its half as ballsy as when I rode in it, I will be satisfied! Yes its an offroad only truck, about as high as the "White Knight" that floats around here and all over the net... The rear suspension, the original owner/builder tried a shackle flip in the rear, rotated the hanger and completely eliminated the shackles! That will some day soon change. I guess he tried to drive it on the road once (it was even plated and insured!) and all it did above 15-20 is hop off the ground! Kinda scary in a big truck like that!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

I have some 44.5x11 or so semi truck tires on 22.5 rims, no centers. Do you guys think I might be able to set the truck on those for a bit (until some other tires show up that is) with 3.73s if I made some centers? They have about 1/2" tread and are retreadable, so could I make somecross grooves with a grinder or some cutting tool?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 08:22 AM

you can run 4.10s with 44s... just keep it in 4lo.... some guys at the boggs just put their case in 4lo, take the handle off and weld it in place....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 10:14 AM
ratlover

Ford Boy[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]j/k[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] brings up a good point about the tranny not being happy

also......have ever picked up a 40" tire? The difference in rotating mass between a 40" tire and a 33" is nutz...things start going up exponetialy. if you gear it down at the rear you have less strain on everything forward of the motor(the axles and everything else has the same stress) but drive shaft TC and tranny arnt having to grunt as hard....if you are gearing down at the TC everything ahead(twards the motor) dosnt struggle but it is....gear down at the tranny....you get the idea.....you could build a BB with enough torque to turn 40" tires and have 3.55 gears but there would be a hell of a stress on everything between
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode