'83 K5 trans swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'83 K5 trans swap

I have a 1983 K5 Blazer, with a 350 v8 and a turbo 350 transmission, the transfer case is NP203. I would like to swap in a SM465 transmission. does anyone know about how difficult a task this will be? any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 11:34 AM

Re: \'83 K5 trans swap

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>This is a fairly involved swap. If you do a search over on Colorado K5 it has been discussed pretty heavily over there. There are at least 3 guys I can think of off the top of my head that have done it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, it is quite extensive. I swapped the 700r4 and xfer in my 86 pickup to a 465/205. The years are a little off, but the parts are the same.

Since there was only one year (74) when the 203 came behind the 465, you'll most likely have to swap the xfer too. What I can think of off the top of my head:
Move crossmember (drilling holes, etc).
Lift that heavy A$$ POS up into place.
Change driveshaft ends and lenghts.
add petal cluster with clutch
drill hole for linkage to run down through
Add pivot bar w/ additional linkage to frame/bellhousing.
Change flex plate to flywheel
add pilot bushing to end of crank.
cut hole in floor for shifter(s).
I'm sure I've missed something. At the time, I remember telling myself that I'd never do it again. But now that it's been doen for a while, I'd probably do it. You can't really get into much trouble, providing you have the right tools and ability. All you have to do is ask questions here and we'll help you get through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the conversion Last Winter. Almost everything was a bolt in. In fact the only hole I had to cut was for the Linkage from the pedal to the bracket on the frame. The holes were even there for that bracket. I didn't think it was any harder than replacing a clutch. Let me know if you have any specific questions?

Lazydog
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey. thanks for your help. So how long did that swap take you? I have the SM465 and bellhousing, and crossmember for the tranny. The only thing that i know i need is a clutch, b/c the one that was w/ the tranny bestroyed itself, but Do i need any adapters to adapt the tranny to tcase? did you divorce or marry the Tcase? what about driveshafts? will i have to lengthen/shorten them?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which is better the NP203 or NP205? did the SM465 EVER come from the factory mated to a NP203? and if so, how hard is that adapter to find?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 01:07 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>The 203 has a better low range but the 205 is stronger. The 203 came attached to the 465 pretty much only in '74. There are probably some others out there, but '74 is the only year that all of the 465s came with 203s.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lets see, I Replaced the motor at the same time I did the swap. It took me all together a couple of weeks because I did it all myself. Get as many parts as you can from donor trucks. I started collecting parts almost 9 months before I did the swap. I bought new driveshafts from Dicks here in Arizona, They automatics were shorter. The transfer case I purchased had the adapter already bolted to it, so I just installed as it was from the factory(Married). The only thing I have left to do is the steering column. I have one ready to go in(without the automatic nipple on it). I think I may do it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode