HELP..confused ..tons on questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP..confused ..tons on questions

I cant decide on what to do...But first I need to know the difference between an 8 lug 10 bolt fron vs. a 6 lug.Is the 8 lug stronger and will the gears interchange..The second would be a 6 lug 14 bolt SF from a 95 Suburban vs. an 8 lug 14 bolt SF..Is it stronger and are the brakes the same size as the newer axle?...

the 6 lug axles(3.42 fronts) are on my other 86 Sub with frame damage.Its got a 6" lift,35x15x12.5 tires that I want to use..

The 86 Suburban that Im currently using needs tires and front springs so to save money Im going to use the lift from the other truck and hopefully use the wheels/tires..

Im thinking of swapping axles but I still have to change the gear of the front..

What would be a sensible decision,spend the $$ on 8 lug wheels and tires and HOPE to sell the 15" wheels/tires with my other Sub or swap the axles and re-gear the front diff..note that the axles has to be removed from the other truck..Ive installed the motor,tranny,springs and rear end of that same truck..

Daz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP..confused ..tons on questions

the only difference between 8 and 6 lug 10 bolt is the outers, everything else is the same. Yep, the gears are interghangeable too. The 6 and 8 lug 14SF are the same basically too but I don't know about the brakes. Since they are the same axles you could stick with the 6 lug since you got wheels and tires for them or go to 8 lug and get a 14FF later on
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess the splines ahould be the same.Im also worried about the 15" wheels hitting the brakes and the 6 lug drum not matching..Unless you meant to change the whole differential..lolI called 4 wheel parts and they said they sell steel 8 lug 15" wheels in 15x8 and 15x10 sizes..what backspacing would work??Or any have tried it..Its the white spoke version

thanks for the reply

Daz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

After reading the archives I think Im better of getting 15" 8 lug wheels that have about 3.75 or less backspacing and just grind the calipers and/or drums..Opinions on this anyone??Any problems that I might encounter??thanks

Daz
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on a 10 bolt front you shouldn't have to grind galipers, just on a Dana 60 if I am right. Ya, stay away, far away, from 16" wheels. Tires are expensive nad no selection. 15" is THE way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode