RTI? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

RTI?

Whats a good rti score for a long wheel base truck (131")???

Does tire size really affect rti scoring?? And how much does airing down your tires help (cheat) your score??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:52 AM

Re: RTI?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I can't see the flexiest of long beds do much better than 800 or so on a 25 degree ramp. Tire size will affect scoring pretty much only becaues larger tires are heavier and thus help axle droop, letting you go farther up the ramp. When you are aired down the tires squish more, so it's basically like free flex. Not really cheating unless you're going down below what you normally run on the trail in my book.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 08:11 AM

That is 50" under that tire, which works out to a 795 on a 30º ramp, which is 910 on a 25º ramp [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 09:36 AM

<font color=green>Yeah, Mudzilla is pretty darn flexy. Hey Jeff, did the RTI go down once the bed was bolted in? Seem like that would limit the frame flex a bit.

Mudzilla is an example of really really heavy tires helping the RTI considerably. I'd bet that with 36-38" tires on the same set up it wouldn't ramp nearly as well. Love that truck though.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 AM

The bed is bolted on with extra long bolts, so it can pull away from the frame. It will not be bolted on solid [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:43 AM
Mud in my Veins

Actually Shaggy, wouldn't the longer wheel base be a little better? A K30 longbed (ignoring the stiff stock springs) would be able to go farther up the ramp before the rear wheels even got to the ramp and started any other "tipping" beyond pure suspension flex.

Not to mention longer chassis means you can run longer leaf springs and have more room for the link setups on coils.

Just my thoughts.......
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 11:17 AM

<font color=green>That's all well and good, except that the wheelbase is taken into account in the equation to figure out the rti. I think the idea is that if the rear tire hits the bottom of the ramp and all 4 tires are still touching, then that's about 1000. Show me a longbed truck that can do that! I think that the equation should take axle width into account also, but so far no one has come up with a good equation to take it into account.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, then the beater isn't that bad off then.

I got a rear tire 39.5" off the ground at 40psi with my 32's, and a front 37.5" off the ground at 40psi.

My ramp was pretty sketchy tho, I was worried about it kicking out from underneath me so I never went till a tire came up off the ground. I know I can get a bit more on a better ramp.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Thanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I htinkit should just be how high you can raise 1 tire, without the others coming up. WItch it basically is but they should just do it in inches and not RTInubers.

like this, my truck could lift 1 tire 32 1/4"
and that truck can lift a tire (well say) 50"

That just seems alot simpler than all those eqautions and stuff.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 05:38 PM

<font face="Comic sans MS">Aah but that method, gigawho, does not tell the whole story... The whole object of RTI is to give a standardized way of determining flex per wheelbase... Just saying it can lift a tire a certain height also doesn't tell the story of how the other axle flexes and what happens when really flexing it and stuff...

Even though RTI doesn't tell the whole story...

The equations behind it would be simple, we just have to decide what we want our baseline number to be and so forth... </font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode