SM465 Rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 04:25 PM
Kendog454

SM465 Rebuild

How much roughly does it cost to rebuild this transmission? (Provided no new gears are needed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 10:38 PM
87sm465np208

Re: SM465 Rebuild

why would you have to rebuild one of them things, did you float them all the time and grind them, my truck is an 87 and it has the same tranny, but why do you want to have it rubuilt or were you just curiuos. good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 10:38 PM
87sm465np208

why would you have to rebuild one of them things, did you float them all the time and grind it really bad, my truck is an 87 and it has the same tranny, but do you want to have it rubuilt or were you just curiuos. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2002, 11:37 PM

Maybe he found it in a junk yard or something where he doesn't know it's history. I honesty have no idea what it would cost but I know it shouldn't be to much more (if not less) than $600.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:02 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Beats me, but it probably won't be much if you just replace what needs to be replaced. I'd immediately get new input and output shaft bearings, races, and seals (probably around $100). Other than that I'd replace a synchronizer or two if they were wore out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 06:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have bought a gasket set, and looked at the prices for the input and output berrings on one. The gasket set was pretty cheap. But the output berring was like $90 from NAPA. I would expect the kit to be around a couple hundred $$. One of the gus from Off-Road Design have easy access to the rebuild kits, and offered to sell me one once, but I never got to the price.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did one for my Jeep Cherokee Project, i bought a kit off ebay for $108, i bought a new solid 3rd gear, the spacer that replaces the snap rings on the countershaft and the heavy springs for the lid to keep 3rd gear from popping out... All said and done it was $158 for parts. I bought it from www txchange.com great people. The kit on ebay is the cheapest i have found, comes with all the stuff you need to rebuild one.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Kendog454

The reason I asked is a friend of mine has an SM465 in his truck with well over 240000 miles on it, and the synchros howl like a bastard, and he's going to do the motor so might as well do the tranny.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got an 83 with 400,000+ yes over Four-Hundred-Thousand, and it's never been rebuilt yet. Still sounds good, shifts smoothly, runs good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode