should i do this or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

should i do this or not?

hey,

i was thinking of buying a dirt cheap (like $500) 73 87 chevy just the cheapest piece of crap i could get, and wheeling it. the difference is..... that i wouldn't drive it on the road. it would be like an atv. it would not be street legal. i wouldn't even try to have it street leagal. take off the box and doors as soona s i get it. spray paint it some colour, prolly black, maybe camo. and wheel it. i'm not planning on a huge lift... or any lift. unless i can get it cheap. understand that i drive an atv now so i don't need stuff like cd players or radios or even doors. i'll make a lincoln locker for the rear, and maybe the front too. it doesn't matter about the road handleing cause

a)i don't care, i'm not a wussy "everything should handle like a sports car" dink
b)i drive an underpowered truck now
c)i never drove a sports car, so i don't know what they handle like.
d)this would be fun

what new options do i have if i don't have to worry about 'street-legalness' like i'm gonna take the exhaust off right behind the factory headers. if it's super loud, i'll just wear earplugs. (is it super loud?)

cheap is the name of the game here, and non 'street-legalness'. will i be overwhelmed to drive it on the street? do you need doors as a legal requirement? (nb, canada)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 02:37 PM
fender

Re: should i do this or not?

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I would suggest building a cage before you remove the doors. If you happen to roll, a doorless cab might flatten, and so would you. Also, if you have a cage, you can cut off the roof to reduce the weight even more. It wouldn't be too confortable in the rain and snow, but since you ride ATVs, I'm sure you're used to it.

Finding a one ton would be ideal, but it probably won't happen. I would use a 73-80 3/4 ton with a d44 front and a ff 14 bolt. Find some used 4" front lift springs, and do a shackle flip in the rear, and you'll have a lift for under $100. Weld the front and rear diffs, and wheel it as hard as you can.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 02:44 PM

i would at least have straight pipes running to the back, only having headers sucks, cuz its really louder then hell, and ive heard its bad for the motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good point about the cage but i don't know how to weld, imean i know the basic procedure and i've seen guys do it at work, but i would have to get it done professionally. that would be big money. cheap is the idea here. i'm not gonna lift it too much, just cheap stuff, shackle flip, no block though. no body lift will be done. wow, actually i just re-read your reply and i'm totaly gonna do your lift idea. $100 is the kind of cheap stuff i'm talking about.

there's no roll cage on an atv, you just jump clear. i know what onstacles i have a chance of rolling on, so i'm just careful on those.

about my atv. i'm used to it. i ride when it's minus 20 C and like 40 kph down the trail in a open-face helmet with a balaclava on, so i know about cold. i'm not trying to be macho, just saying that rain and snow wouldn't bother me.

i want a truck that i can into a wall or a rock or something and scratch the bumper all up and just laugh.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 03:29 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Why bother lifting at all, just throw some 1 ton axles under there, remove all front fenders, secure core support to cab with some tube supports and toss on some 40's or so... Instant bogger/buggy... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 05:41 PM

ya, get some sheets of aluminum make a cover for all around the motor, some hardcore mud flaps, and the heck with 40s,
44 boggers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 07:34 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Sounds like a great plan. For maximum durability go for a 1 ton (preferably) or 3/4 ton with the FF rear end and a manual tranny with the 205. Should be easy to find this combo in any truck from the 70s. Auto trannies have got to be one of the biggest weaknesses on any beater truck, the 465 manual that came in these trucks are bulletproof. Don't even bother with a lift, redrill the locating holes in the front springs about 1.5" farther forward and slap on some 35 or 36s. With no bed in the rear tire fitment is not an issue there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 10:27 PM

"i want a truck that i can into a wall or a rock or something and scratch the bumper all up and just laugh. "

hmm sounds like my truck.

Definitely sounds like a good plan man, You could always get your springs re-arched for cheap if you want some lift.
Go with the sm465/np205 combo and you won't have to worry about it.. Some people say a 465 isn't worn in until it has a couple hundred thousand klicks on it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow, you guys have really jumped on the bandwagon.
i really want a manual, and a manual truck that old would come with a 205 case wouldn't it?? i don't want a 208!

how would drilling new sprring stuff let me put on bigger tires? wouldn't i need a more arched spring? oh you mean and inch or so IN. but i'd have to physically bend the springs to fit. i'm prolly not strong enough to do that. i'd just do the used 4inch spring /shackle flip thing that the other guy mentioned.

also, 44" boggers?!?!? what are you thinking, i totally love to have those tires, but they are big coin! i know a guy with 44" swamper tsl's and he said his were $700 each (i'm in canada). so i'm not buying those, way to expensive. now if i can get used tractor tires or something off a backhoe or something, then i would do that, but that option is way to expensive. i'm only 18 with a (albeit well-paying) summer job. i gotta save money for later on in life. i can't sink too much money into this now cause i'll need the money for other stuff later on down the road, for non-truck things.

i'll take off the rear box but i'd rather not remove the front fenders, i'll trim em some. but i still want this to look like a chevy. if i take those off then all i've got is cab, hood, grill.

also about huge tires. yes please, but then i'd have to put in lower gears. i'm not one of those stupid rednecks that doesn't understand about lower gearing and mechanical advantage. it would be cool, but then i'd have to get a dana 60 at least, and i'f i'm going over 44" i'd have to start looking for dana 70 or rockwells, i don't have the dollars for it. again, your comments and suggestions are totally appreciated but it has to be dirt cheap stuff.

i want my truck to be cool, and by cool i mean totally sweet.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how can i tell if the rear end is full floater, like i no idea what you are talking about. i know about axles and springs and frame but i don't know you mean by 'full-floater'. when i'm looking at a possible truck to buy how do i tell if it's ff? what parts do i look for? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode