Need suggestions on buildup, wile i still got cash - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need suggestions on buildup, wile i still got cash

Hello everybody, I've been ;oolin around and most of yall have some pretty nifty trucks. I have this 85 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 sittin in my yard. Granny four speed, 292, 14 bolt ff in back, and 4.10's. Now what should I do with it? Needs rockers and a floorboard, so that comes first, and some minor engine work, rattle can and ill have about 1500 left to play with. I want to keep the 292 for now, I reallt just want a truck i can beat and it wille take it, laugh and ask for more. So yall gots some ideas?

'preciate it
bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2002, 10:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Need suggestions on buildup, wile i still got cash

Honestly, put a 350 in there. Those 292's were torque monsters, but a 350 will make it entirely more driveable while getting better gas mileage and having more power. Not to mention parts and aftermarket stuff are dirt cheap and available everywhere.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 05:37 PM
ratlover

Dont know that I agree if its in deccent running shape.....you would be hard pressed to swap a good 350 in and get all the brackets and such for 1500$. Save your cash for if something breaks and to save up and do the swap.....in the mean time get some good tires(the biggest you can fit with use of a sawsall and a ord solid body lift) and save up till something blows. 6 should get you a big set of swampers and lift and such.....then save up to do it right

not doing the swap right away is with the idea that you dont have most of the parts laying in your garage collecting dust.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well it runs decent now but the monojet is screwed, needs an accelator pump and some choke work. I was thinking more along the lines of how to lift it, what tires would be better, and if there were some little tweaks on the suspension I could make to let it perform better. I work at a walmart TLE so I get a discount on tires. I have put alot of Liberators on trucks, and even front ends of combines, they seem to hold up decent, but how are they offroad? The reason I ask about those is I can get 4 285-75-16's for around 350 after tax.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. I'd keep the 6 for now too. I just put a 250-6 in my 86 3/4. I did it just to be different. The 6 will put out as much torque as moderate 350's, and you already have it. Why replace something that's already working?? I agree with the biggest tires you can fit. Then I'd spend some money on "extras". Such things as tow hooks, d-rings, bumpers, winch(??), hi-lift, tow straps, etc.
6-cyl, SM465 tranny, 205 xfer, 3/4 4.10's....there really isn't much to upgrade there. Body work and tires are the next place to start.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing. Since my truck is a 3/4 ton with a 6 could I swap out the front springs from say another 3/4 or even 1 ton with a v8 and get any added ride height? It has a snow plowing package on it I believe, if there even was such a thing, it was used as a plow truck back in the day.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't believe that they made different springs for different weight engines. (I don't think there's much weight difference between I-6 and V8's). At least I've never seen any.
I know that some of the trucks had an extra leaf in the front. But that's the only thing that I've seen that would help with plowing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2002, 12:49 AM

Fix the 6, trim the fenders, 33's and steelies, maybe some 35's and a budget lift, if you plan on getting it dirty, a Detroit for the rear, some straps and recovery gear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode