Just Bought Me a Burban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Just Bought Me a Burban

2001 Chevrolet Suburban 3/4 ton ... $0.97 and i got a Avalanche in the same package [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] DIECAST RULE
went to walmart, got a toolbox, Chevrolet SteeringWheel Cover, was gonna get a interior Neon Light, but all they had was purple. so oh well. i have a nice big shelf under the dash of my S-10, but cant put anything there the way i drive so i might as well screw down a neon light [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] if it works good i might pick one up for the interior of my GMC...another kool thing to hold up my Headliner [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] neon lights and black lights seem to be a big thing around here, quit a few of the real 4x4s have them, and ALL the posers do. Then on the way home a "Pimped Out Civc..." was going to pass me, i was doin 65, my buddys like show 'em was domstics got under the hood, droped her into fourth gear and the damn car couldnt pass me till my power ran out at 80. darn underpowered 5th gear anyway... but was still fun to have the civic trying to pass me for like a mile [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:17 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Just Bought Me a Burban

Must've been driving the S10, eh? Those ****ty 2.8s only made like 110 horsepower. I hate 2.8s with a passion. Especially the ones with electronically controlled carburetors. With my S15 I always had to run fourth gear any faster than 65mph. Then again, it was a lifted 2.5L with 31" tires. I kind of miss my S15. I liked being able to blow the doors off anything off the starting line.

I hate when people speed up when I'm trying to pass. 9 times out of 10 I slow down and ride their [censored] like a Politician does intern's rears.

I had a guy in a Ford Ranger that would pass me then slow down to about 3 mph slower than me. Over the course of fifty miles or so we passed each other ten times. One time his friend must've coerced him to speed up when I went to pass. Well, I slowed down and went in behind him and drafted like NASCAR at 75mph. It took me about a mile and a half to push him up to his speed limiter at 100mph. I don't have enough nerve to stay within 2 feet of someone for long (especially sicne I know they've got better brakes than me) and he got off at the rest stop in Claire which is probably good because it's kind of stressful to do that on I-75. He probably had to go clean his drawers. I think that was probably the best gas mileage I ever got on the expressway.. hehe.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:43 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I still don't get why y'all have trouble with your 2.8's like that... Mine is basically stock and I could cruise with the needle basically pegged in 5th gear... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

5th isn't all that great for acceleration but for me 3rd would work well from about 30 to about 70-75 on the speedometer [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Although that was winding it a little tight by that point. Great point to step into 4th and keep on pulling though... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The little 2.8 does make a great showing every time it hits the dunes though... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If I can keep it between 3k and 6k then it'll go up anything you point it at. Even sometimes gets accused of being a 4.3... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Of course that's going to change now that silver lake rules say we can't have any straight thru exhausts... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] That is a major bunch of crap... I have a glasspack on it. Not so good for off the line but helps it breathe nicely when the revs are up which is good for sand... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

So are they requiring spark arrestors now? That was the only public land in Michigan that you could run without a spark arrestor. They just used to have a noise restriction, 92dB at 45 at 3' at 3/4 throttle like the rest of the land. Which is fine even though my quad produces 101dB but they didn't care. I don't blame them about noise because there are always morons that run open headers, header glasspacks, or straight pipe to megaphones on big blocks. I think as long as you pass noise limits you should be able to run whatever exhaust you want on the sand.

Yours is fool-injected, right? That's a lot better since my main problem was carburetion on those motors. They're known to have noisey bottom ends. And they still don't make that much horsepower than a 2.5L.

Every 2.8 I've ever listened to would only see 6000rpm once.

It's pretty cool that you can make it over all the hills at Silver Lake. I know people with trucks bearing V8s that can't make it. "Speed kills.. Drive a Ford".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

I think i have the computer controled carburator, or TBI still all new to this stuff, but yeah that little truck will take just about everything off the line well till about 30-35, then my accel slows a bit, but i can still get up to 85-90 in about 1 mile, thats holding 4th till 70. I need a Tach Bad... all i have is the Stupid ^shift light. and apparently your supposed to shift to 5th at 45 MPH thats kinda screwy. only reason i sped up was cuz my buddy said so and...it had the annoyin as hell exhaust and lights underneath and all that crap.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've never gone off shift lights. They're for people that don't know how to drive a manual transmission. They run off vacuum anyway so they're kind of useless. Luckily mine burned out on one of my 3 hour trips with the pedal stuck the the floor in fourth gear.

You're supposed to upshift to a higher gear once the motor can pull that gear without lugging (if you press on the accelerator and the vehicle doesn't speed up you're definitely lugging it). If you have stock tires it's probably good to shift into fifth around 45 but if you run big tires or lift that suck the power out of your motor then you'll probably be waiting until you're going 50-55 before you shift in to fifth. In my truck there was no acceleration in fifth gear so I'd get it up to the speed I'm going to travel at in fourth and then shift gears.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:36 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Mine is stripped of all emissions junk and has a non computer controlled carb in it... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I have a tach and 6k is about where the valves start to float... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I *do* keep it right to the floor when climbing the hills... About 30mph in 1st gear is a great speed to attack it at... The moment it starts an uphill grade, just put the foot all the way down to open up the secondary and you're all set... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The shift light is great if you're tryin' for maximum fuel economy... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] But who wants that? I want acceleration, etc so I wind it out...

I think someday a 3.4L with dual turbos should be a bit of a project... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Don't need much torque just ultra high RPM's and wheel speed so that should do just fine for that... heh heh...

It's on 235/75R15's with 3.73:1 gears... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Coincidentally never pay attention to the shift light if you want performance. 1st is good until just a hair before 30, 2nd goes well up until 45 i think (has been quite a while since i've had a working 2nd gear so jump right to 3rd) 3rd pulls well from 45-50 until about 70-75 and then 4th for the rest of the way up... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

i get 18 to a gallon thats good enough for me on 205/75/R14s
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you've ripped off the emissions and put a _real_ carburetor that has been tuned for the little motor then you're talking about some serious extra horses.

Yikes. I don't even like to take a stock V8 past 4400rpm.

She be wound pretty tight at 30 in first. My S15 did 30 in first if I wound her until I thought I'd be picking rods out of my tires and I had 31" tires and 3.73s.

I never had enough vacuum because of the big tires, lift, and little motor to turn on the shift light. It only came on when I was cruising. I only got 15mpg with the lift, big tires, and moonvisor. When my Dad ran without a lift, no moonvisor, and 235x75r15's he got 24-25mpg.

I can't believe you can live without a second gear. That's where all the horsepower is. They're usually the first to go because people like to bash into second. Those transmissions are incredibly simple (I had mine apart to replace input and output bearings) so it's probably cheap to fix.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

holy miles per gallon batman!
I get 5 MPG... but then again I have a full size with 35's, 4.10s, th400 with no overdrive now, a 400 sbc and a heavy right foot who like the skinny pedal.
You suck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img], You suck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , You suck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , You suck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , You suck! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I have to add gas every other day... well, now that I moved closer to work I only have to drive 7 miles instead of 20-25 which I can got about 3-4 days if I am easy on it. Plus gott spend the extra for preimium or mid so the thing will run in the first place. I used to budget $400 a month for gas alone. I take mine to arounr 5,000 rpm in teh mud and stuff but not for real long periods of time. A frineds firebird with the 2.8 did good on gas mileage but sucked on the open road for speed/ accl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode