Join Date: Mar 2001
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine swaped, and bumper installed PICS
Well, I finally got the bumper installed last week (pics tommorow) and I mounted it almost flush with the tailgate, just sticking out enough to provide a bit of protection.. I tested it out, and I can jack the truck up from the side with no creaking or groaning, and barely any body/bumper interference..
Now, the motor swap was quite the ordeal. I got to the farm about 1:00pm on friday to find no one there and the truck sitting in the grass.. Now the truck has been sitting for 3 years and has been run twice a year.. Last time it was run was in Nov.
So I drag it out of the grass to a clear patch of lawn, and start looking thru it.. carb was rusty, air cleaner was full of seed and crap, mouse [censored] all over the place (I think a couple dead mice got blown out the exhaust when I finally got it going!!), spark plugs looked terrible, and the starter was frozen.
The motor sure didn't look like it was rebuilt only 2000km ago, but once I popped the valve covers and took the ****ty carb off it looked pretty clean.
Anyways, I spent all of friday by myslef getting the damn thing to run satisfactorily, I thought buddy was going to be helping me but apparently that wasn't the case.
On saturday I ran to town to get a set of plugs (parts store closes at 2:00pm for the long weekend) and when I got back some other guy was waiting there for buddy so he helped me prep both motors for pulling.. he left about 2:00pm, and I managed to pull both motors by myself with a front end loader by the end of saturday.
Sunday I put the new clutch on, swapped fittings, accesories, etc,etc, to prep the motor for installation (Is it normal to have ALOT of play in the clutch fork on the ballstud???) and start trying to swing the motor in by myslef again with no luck... but then outta nowhere buddy comes home and works the loader while I jimmy'd the motor onto the input shaft.. then buddy took off and I spent the rest of the night drinking his beer and screwing with motor mounts.
I pulled the whole mount assembly out with the old beater motor as I had a new set to go in, so when I put the new motor back in the new motor mounts were WAY outta wack... so back to the old totally worn out motor mounts and the damn loader kept creeping down on me.. I'd get about 5 minutes to work on the mounts, and then have to go raise the motor up abit again.
After I got those sloppy old mounts in I put the starter in wiht no problems, and hooked up all the lines/hoses/wires etc... No problems with installing anything back onto the motor other than putting the distributor back in : it was really tough going down, and I was worried that I had messed the timing up, but for once a stroke of luck and all my marks lined up, and the motor started up just great.. ran sooo much better on new gasoline than 3 year old [censored]!!!
This morning I ran into a couple problems tho.. for some reason I couldn't find a belt to fit for the powersteering, so I drove the 800km home armstrong style, the mechanical oil pressure line broke so I had no oil pressure readings for the trip home, and while trying to install the hood with a little John Deere it slipped off and punched a hole in my windshield (duct tape fixed that for now).
And I broke 5 of 6 exhaust studs on the new motor, and only manage to remove a couple broken studs... so I got a nasty exhaust leak, and the some shop is gonna deal with those bastards cause it's defintitely not worth my time trying to fix in my parking lot here... good excuse to get new exhaust anyways.
Man, driving the beater with no powersteering down a worn highway is alot of work.. gotta fight for everymile to stay outta the ditch and outta the path of the rig coming down the next lane..
I am very happy with myself for this swap; besides the damn hole in the windshield.. I've never actually done a full swap before, just bits and pieces of em hanging around the shop back home.. so doing all that work in 3 days basically by myself is pretty good I think.. I was having doubts if I could do it all, but somehow it came together.
Anyways, I'll have pics off the bumper installed, mudding from the other weekdend, and a few of the motor swap tommorow.
Thanks for all the help.