Q's on D44 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Q\'s on D44 swap

Hello, its me but ya'll don't know it. Let me give you a run down on what I'm doing with my truck so any obstacles you might see, maybe I could be ready for them (if there is such a thing). What I have is a 84 GMC 1/2ton ,when it was stock it had a 305ci,700R4 tranny,208 T-case, 10bolt frt. and rears with 2.73 gears. Yes, I said 2.73's. So far I swapped the motor to a built 462ci. with TRW flat top pistons,H.S.roller rockers,RV cam, Edle.Performer intake, Holly 750cfm carb. etc,,. The 700 burned out within hours of the motor swap and was replaced with a T350. (could'nt find a 400). The 208 T-case is still there but the running gears have to go. I have a 14b FF with 4.10 gears and a D44 with 4.09 gears. Best I can tell, its a direct swap except: U-bolt and drive shaft length. The 14 and 44 are out of a 73 chevy 3/4ton. Will the brake line fittings match?, can I use all my steering stuff off the 10bolt ?,etc,,. I know there must be something I'm not thinking about. Any addvice or ideas would be great, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:22 AM

Re: Q\'s on D44 swap

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>OK, brake lines probably won't fit, Chevy went to 10mm lines on the caliper end in the early 80s. I would have thought that the u bolts would fit, but maybe not. Driveshaft will probably need to be worked on, most likely shortened, but that's a guess. Other than that it should be and easy swap, 44s and 10 bolts are pretty similar. I am swapping a D60 in to replace my 44 right now, I may be selling my extended brake lines if you're interested. U-bolts could be sold too, only like 8000 miles on them.

Good luck with the D44/Big block combo, you're gonna need it...[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did the same exact swap in an 86. I put in a 350 a year ago, which in turn killed the 700 pretty quick. Swapped tranny and transfer with a SM465/NP205. This past spring I put in a 14ff rear and Dana 44 front. I bought all new steering parts for the 44, so I don't know if the tie-rods will inter-change or not. Other than that and the brake lines (44's are different than the 10blt) (had to make my own mount on the frame for the rubber line), it was a direct bolt in. The rear was easier than the front. Since I had to do the lines anyway. I didn't have to modify either driveshaft!! The only thing I did was get that funky conversion joint for the rear of the back shaft. It has two size caps, one to fit the driveshaft, and one to fit the 14ff. I was really amazed at how well everything went together. I don't think you'll have much trouble, and let us know if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOunds exactly like my truck. I started with a 86 1/2 ton with a 305, 700R4, NP208, and a piar of 10 bolts. Now I have a 400, TH400, NP241, D44, 14FF. My new axles are 75 vintage. For the brake lines just find a drill bit the size of the new banjo bolt and make the hole in the brake line bigger. Drivelines didn't make a difference. U-bolts are the same and while you are at it take the stupid sway bar off too. Any other ?'s I may be able to help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the tie rod is different since the D44 and 10 mount the steering stabalizer in opposite directions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:19 PM
bigwishlist

When it comes to brake lines is there a rule of thumb as to how much longer they should be than the droop? Like how much slack there should be so they dont get tight?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if there is like a definite rule but you definitely don't want too short. I extended mine 11" so now I have 31" brake line, plenty enough!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shaggy, I'm interested in those brake lines if you sell them. I only have a 2" lift so I would think they should fit. Mnorby, what is a banjo bolt ? As far as the tie rod go's, I have all steering parts for the 44. 79XCABCHEVY said he did'nt have to do any modifying on the driveshafts, what about you ? And whats the beef with the sway bar ? Now I know I could look all this info up on the "SEARCH" but what fun is that. I have always heard that a 44 is stronger then a 10bolt and can handle a larger tire but from other info I hear, it sounds like there almost twins. So what are the facts ? I would like to be able to slip some 37" tires on the 44 and feal sure it can handle it. Thanks for all the info guys !!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the banjo bolt in teh bolt the hold the brake line to the caliper. It it a little bigger ont eh D44 vs. the 10 bolt so just drill the hole in teh line bigger. The D44 is like 1/10th strong but isn't worth it. I think the shafts are a tad bigger and teh housing is a tad thicker is all. Mine is always broke and I just weld the POS back together and I am only running 35s and a decent 400sbc. I had to weld the caliper bolts in and u-joint caps in last time out and had to replace carrier, spiders, center pin, side gears and really really need new R&amp;P but I aint spending any more $$ on teh stupid D44, save for the 60. I hate sway bars, the completely limit flex and make it ride hard to boot. I toom mine off and was one of the best things have done.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

also, no mods where needed for drive lines. Used the same u-joint and all. Just make sure to get the u-joint retainers for the axle cause my 10 bolt used thr straps and the D44 used the u-bolt style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode