O/T Slow day, eh. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T Slow day, eh.

Wow, no traffic here at all it seems like. I have to work late because of the USPS rate change and our software update we are snding out for it. I have 1.5 more hours left now. HAve to work sat also... Aaaargh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Slow day, eh.

not much traffic...but a little. im 'bout to drive around aimlessly to get some miles on the new motor. id like to have a few hundred on it before a romp in the woods far away from any tow trucks! ahhhh...the smell of fresh engine. gotta love it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well it's saturday now. Got 3.5 hours left. Thakfully got the new Peterson's to read. it is so slow at work. Arrrgh. Have a goodin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:16 PM

Yep, got mine yesterday. Plus I scored a brand new in box Borg Warner York a/c compressor and two military steel gas cans and a ton of electrical stuff at a garage sale this morning for 20 bucks[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:00 PM

I got off work today 2 hours early, the autodialer was messed up(yes im one of those damn telemarketers) hmm i havent got my Petersons yet...
got a tool catalog with Old Ammo Boxs, 12.99 a peice i think im gonna get a couple and break out the can of flat black.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Awwwww I don't have my Petersons yet, it's 110* out, and I'm feeling LAZY! I'll try and finish my tube doors and clean the shop and shut down the truck for a while. Any body have any tips on storing a truck for a month?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:24 PM

Don't leave the E-brake on, I hate it when they stretch and then you have to replace them. That's just annoying.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

nothing much, just keep the mice out of it. downstate michigan where i'm from the mice are horrible. they'll get in to anything that has nice nesting material (namely, your seats). here in the U.P. of michigan there are no mice, just skunks and chipmunks.

since you run bias ply tirs, i'd move the truck every 4 or 5 days. i ran a set of bias ply a while ago and they'd get flat spots after 6 or 7 days. take off down the road and it goes *thump* *shudder* pause *thump* *shudder* pause. then you turn a corner and it sounded like a galloping horse.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:41 AM

<font face="comic Sans MS">Ack, 12.99 ea. for ammo cans? I can pick those up all day for $4-5 unless you mean something else by ammo boxes... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Speaking of ammo, I finally got the .308 out on Saturday. Worked on gettin' it broke in and sighted in. That (Harris "L") bipod I bought is surely one of the better things I've procured. Very happy with that. I need to get used to firing this cannon now... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I am surely pleased at what some simple FMJ ammo does to full pop cans [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Nice 10-15' radius blast of pop around where the can formerly existed... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Fairly efficient...

Got to use a pistol for the first time as well. 9mm. Interesting, but not nearly accurate enough for me. Or rather I'm not accurate enough with it. Got a group within 5" at about 10-15 yds but man I like that rifle much better where we're talkin' some groups at or less than 1" between 50 and 75 yds... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Once I *am* more accustomed to this thing I'm confident we'll see group size decrease considerably...

Other gun I used a couple times was a .270... Interesting. My only complaint was that it was semi auto. I'm not sure what it is about a semi auto that I don't like, but it just doesn't "feel" right when it cycles... Was surprised how much louder it was than the .308 but seemed to have less or similar recoil... Interesting...

Fortunately finding out that this type of shooting isn't as expensive as I thought, just based on the volume of ammo I went thru. Assumed I'd be just burnin' thru the rounds like I sometimes do with the .22... Finding there's absolutely no need for that... [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Sorry guys I took an off topic post off topic...</font>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

a 5" spread at 50 feet is good with a handgun. i tend to be worse when i'm aiming with a handgun, i'm lucky if i can hit the broad side of a barn. i think it has something to do with trying too hard. however, if you see me running around the yard with a handgun chasing varmints i always get the damn things.

semi-auto is louder for the handler and less accurate no matter what anyone says. with the bolt action all the gases go out the end of the barrel along with a lot more of the sound. sometimes we shoot varmints from within the house because if we go outside they run away. i can't do it with my 597 semi auto because you'd go deaf. but we can do it with my dad's marlin bolt action without a problem. as for "real" rifles we can't shoot them because we live south of M-57 (which means you can't shoot any rifle over 30 caliber).

i like bolt action because it makes you make sure the first shot counts. the only time it's a detriment when getting rid of raccoons which have a habit of still running around no matter how perforated their head is.

besides, .22 shells are cheap. hehe.

oh yeah, animals aren't varmints until they start making messes of our buildings. we leave the skunks, opossums, woodchucks, cats, et cetera alone. it's usually just the raccoons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode