What NEEDS replacing. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 11:53 PM
SHOTGUN

What NEEDS replacing.

Ok got a distant relative that I'm really close to and her husband is the parts guy at a Chevy dealership.[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Said ANYTIME I need something he can get come see 'em and he'd "set me up" ::cough::discount::cough::[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So I just found out about a mud run in Sept. so I'm kinda wanting to hurry up and get the K20 on her feet (hopefully TSL's) for that.

Anyways on to me reason for posting this. I NEED to rebuild the back brakes on the 14 bolt. Now the truck sat for about 12 years, and the E-brake had been on too![img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

When I first got started it had to have a nice JERK! from a C-30 before it would move and we could tow it.

Well I've just about finished the front brakes, just need new hoses and calipers. I'm out to open a CAN-O-WORMS with this 14 bolt.

I basically understand how to dismantle it, but what should I look at replacing when doing all of this work?? This is going to be a trail truck, that WILL be street driven on occasion. So I need good brakes. So while I'm in there I might as well replace anything that would need it.

Soooo..... BRING ON THE LIST![img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 AM

Re: What NEEDS replacing.

Forget dinking around with those big [censored] drums, do a rear disk conversion on the 14bff. It took a weekend to do mine and it stops on a dime.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 09:55 AM

you gotta be kidding me..."A$$" is on the censored list? What if I wanna talk about my burro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We just call it "RJ"!! J/K.

The 14ff brakes aren't a big deal at all. Jack up the truck, take the wheel off, remove the axle shaft. The drum should come off with a BFH. The brake parts are just like those on a 10blt, only bigger. Any parts dealer should have all the stuff to replace (shoes, lines, slave cylinders, ebrake cables, etc). I did both mine in about an hour. Those damn springs that hold everything in place are a PITA to get back on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:25 AM
SHOTGUN

Bigbadcad I had thought about the disk conversion but this truck is going to see a lot of MUD so I was told it would be best to leave it drums.

Tell me, where did you get your conversion and how much was it? Does everything come with the kit or do you have to hunt stuff like Calipers for TSM's conversion??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:04 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>No way, discs are way better in mud. I used to have to clean out my drums after hitting a lot of mud because they would fill up and start sticking. With discs there's nowhere for the mud to get stuck so it just falls off. Derbinator on CK5 sells the nicest conversion brackets that I've seen. Just add calipers from a 8 lug D44 or a 76-78 Caddy Eldo if you want a parking brake, and some flexible brake lines from the hard line on the rear axle and you're set to go. The TSM kit is about $600 complete, you can peice it together yourself for about $250.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:09 AM

I don't understand why drums would be better in mud. I think that the drums would be more likely to fill with mud and debris and more difficult to clean and maintain. BTW...most trucks use front disks don't they? I don't see any difference although I could be wrong.

I bought the brackets for $100 from Derbinator on coloradok5.com. I bought the 3/4ton rotors and the caddy calipers from Autozone. The hard part will be finding the caddy calipers cores in a junkyard. They tend to be a tad pricey but will allow you to retain the e-brake.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:11 AM

pic1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 814516-done1.jpg (60.8 KB, 8 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:13 AM

pic2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 814519-caliper.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 11:20 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Hey Cad, where did you get the brake lines? I'm hoping to find them cheap somewhere so I don't have to have them made...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode